How much should a new nut cost?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dave120, Dec 25, 2005.

1. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well I know how much nuts cost to buy them as replacements for Fenders and what not, but how much should most places charge me to make and install one? I want to get the one on my SX replaced because the E string rattles at the nut because I think it's not slotted right for the strings I have on it. They sit kinda high and stick out of it a lot more than on my other basses.

I'm going to check around locally but around how much should it cost me to get one made and put in so I know if somewhere is asking way too much?
  2. I'm considering doing the same thing (for other reasons) and though I don't know what it costs to get one custom made, The best drop-in replacement I've seen is a TUSQ replacement over at stewmac.

The size is close (though not exact, I don't think there is a drop-in replacement that completely matches) And the bottom of the nut isn't rounded (and it's harder to find a flat bottom nut than you'd think.

I think it was 8 bucks before shipping, but I really haven't gone to look in awhile.

Just something to consider. Sorry I can't help you with the cost of getting a luthier to do it.
  3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    The nut on an SX is weak. Warmoth sells 1/8" wide x 3" long bone blanks that will make two nuts and are a perfect fit. This and an hour or two won't cost much.
    Cutting a nut isn't really too hard if you have a little patience and a $10 assortment of files. :D
  4. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  5. so just out of is a nut removed or installed onto the neck?
  6. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    There are typically two types of nut installation. The nut either butts against the end of the fingerboard, or the nut is enveloped by the fingerboard.

In the first case, removal is easy. I use a hammer and a block of wood, and the nut pops right off. Before installing the new nut, I use files & sandpaper to clean up on the surface of the neck / fingerboard where the new nut will rest. Then, one or two drops of crazy-glue will work nicely to hold the nut in place.

The second case where the fingerboard is on both sides of the nut is more difficult. This is the type of nut installed on my SX bass. Can anyone suggest a good method of removing this type of nut without damaging the fingerboard?
  7. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I haven't removed a nut yet, although I would eventually want to do that, too.

I think the nut is glued with wood glue, not crazy glue.
    Wood glue has the advantage that the bond can be broken when you want to, and the bond can be softened with heating.

I don't know what is used to heat it - I'll try to look it up - but I'll bet if that area is heated properly, the glue will loosen and the nut will slide out.
  8. I'm also buying a new nut for my Bass soon; the one I have now is slightly chipped around where the E String is seated and I wouldn't like it to get worse or have something bad happen at a very bad time.

So anyway, I was just wondering before I go out and buy one, is there any difference or an extensive range of Plastic 4-String Bass Nuts? Do some sit higher from the fretboard than others, for example? If there are some factors like this to consider, should I measure or find them out on the nut I have now to make sure I purchase one that's the same?