Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much should a speaker cone move?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Feb 17, 2006.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Couldnt find this in the search so ill ask it.
    I plugged my ABM300 head in to my Schroeder 1210 4 ohms last night and only had the master on about 3 as it was at work. i turned the bass eq up quite high and it sounded nice and deep but i noticed the 12" cone was moving a little.
    I know thats what they are supposed to do but as the volume was low im a bit worried about turning the amp up even though the 1210 is supposed to handle 850watts.
    Should i be worried?
    I doubt i would turn up the bass eq as high once the amp was running louder but i have never seen a cone move before (to be honest ive not really looked either)
    Thanks

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I you pluck low note and it looks like the speaker cone is about to jump out of the housing or is hitting the back of the grill, that might be too much movement.

3. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    I'd say so!!:eek: Sealed cabinet speakers move more than a ported cab in general, but anything can be over drivin.

4. Your speaker cone doesn't need to move visibly to produce audible sound. My cones used to move a whole lot. Then I started filtering out ultra lows (45hZ and lower) and visible cone movement stopped and the tone didn't really change.

The excessive movement you see now is totally caused by the bass boost you are using and if you were to turn up the amp at that setting of course you would be in fart city.

Everything is working correctly though, just set things flat and turn up slowly once you want to really jam.

If you need a lot of bass boost to get your tone, you may need to consider a high pass filter to keep excursion under control.

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks guys, thats put my mind at rest.
    while i realise the cone should move it was doing it at such a low volume. thats what worried me.
    got my first gig tomorrow night with the cab and it will be the first time ive used it live so wanted to make sure it was ok.

6. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    my speakers move slightly when I use clean sounds, and a lot when i use fuzz.

It doesnt make the cab distort at all, and they dont move THAT much...

If its not broken, why fix it?

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The lower the frequency, the further the cone needs to travel to impart a given amount of acoustic energy to the air. The cone excursion is inversely proportional to the square (approximately) of the frequency.

8. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005

Cool...sounds good to me...(no Pun intened)

9. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    There also has been talk of a stronger, tighter, spyder and surround, as I have said all along, for ported cabinets. This "Mechanicle" bond between cone and frame , needs to be stronger in a "free standing" enclosure, such as a ported, vs a sealed.