Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much should I ask for this bass?(warning: 5 pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, May 27, 2003.

1. I think Im going to sell this to get an accoustic (this thing was an impulse buy, shouldnt have gotten it) Its a 1984 (I think- serial # is 847615) BC Rich Warlock with the hardshell coffin case. Its neck through, badass II bridge, active EMG pick ups (original electronics are intact in the body, but not hooked up), 24 fret neck, recently recieved a professional set-up+ new strings, and the neck is straight and unwarped. It actually sounds great. How much should I ask?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. actually those pics are kind of small. You can click here to see enlarged pictures.

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    well first things first,are you trying to make money off of it?are you just trying to break even on the bass + mods ? how much does this bass cost new ? some basses go down in value when you modify them even if they're up-grades.my advice would be to check around and see what the going rate is,E-bay usually has a few of these being auctioned off now and then. do some re-search and chances are you'll be able to answer your own question with the info given.GOOD LUCK:D

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I had a similar vintage B.C. Rich Eagle in cherry condition and had trouble getting $600 for it. I do see 80s Riches getting listed at dealers for over $1000 but I doubt they actually sell for that very often.

The Warlock is a hard sell because it screams "metal", only rockers will want it.

Since you modded yours, it would go for a bit less money anyway. I'd say about $500. If that seems stupid low, try e-bay and see what you can get there.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you know, i really dig those basses...up here a jam night is hosted every weekend, and it would be a gas to play an old warlock with all of the 80's hair rockers that show up all the time. how much is it going for? nevermind, i imagine that is the question here. what's the body/neck wood? mahogany? koa (lots of old koa bc riches...)?

6. Well, this is not one of the top of the line American BC Rich's, but a NJ Series (Japanese) from back when Rich first started doing imports, so it's not one of the classic mahogany/koa ones neptoon's thinking of.

I did a quick look through the Ebay archives, but just saw the newer NJ Warlocks with the Widow headstock, not 4-on-a-side one like yours (which looks much better IMHO).

Prices seemed to be in the $400-$500 range for few neck-throughs I saw, but some didn't get any interest at all. I don't know if the pickup and bridge upgrades really help the resale value, even if they make it play and sound better.

Mike

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    neptoon: You may be on to something. After all, I'm guessing that those Curbows of yours don't blend too well with the mirrored-finish, angled-headstocked Jackson guitars favored by your local CC Deville wannabes up on stage! ;) :p

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, that's what i was thinkin'...but those tunes are always fun to jam with all of the old fat bald ( :eek: :D )guys that rip out all of those van halen licks like they ain't nuttin'

9. Actually I was looking to get like $350. Do you think some one would buy it for that much?