Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much should Techs charge to install a preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Oct 6, 2005.

1. INto a bass. I dont want to get ripped off in price. What is a reasonable range?

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think I paid $50 to have a preamp installed. Seemed fair enough to me.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    depends on complexity and location. In NYC, you'd pay about $100 for a fairly straightforward replacement job for someplace in Manhattan

4. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Wow, I've been quoted upward of $175 in nyc, with me supplying the preamp.

5. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    As I would do it solely to further my self-supported hobby, I'd look at roughly $35ish if it was a straight forward installation and I had the free time to do it. If I needed to drill/fill holes, enlarge the body cavity, shield an unshielded body cavity, and/or add a battery box it could go up from there depending. Key for me would be knowing the person (i.e. friends or friends of friends) and also making sure they were flexible in their delivery schedule.

I'm sure the local Seattle guys/gals who do this for a living or side business would charge more.

R

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Was that Rudy's/Pensa?

I got something done at Jimmy Coppolo's a year or two ago for $100 with me supplying the preamp.

7. My local shop charge's 45.00 bucks an hour for standard shop rates, I think i've got a two hour quote before for that service, i elected to do it myself. I ended up accidentally chiseling through the body and back finish in two separate spots, but did get that bart 2 band eq and a space for a battery into my mim fender jbass. Next time I'll be more careful. The soldering was easy though, and I'm color blind. :)

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    could be neither? I know matt umanov's has a great reputation...well they better for 100 dollar set ups.

9. scoote3639

scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    in my shop ,"PRO -SETUPS" in Florida i charge 100 dollars to install pickups, and pre-amp. shielding the control cavity and pickup cavity would be an additonal 30 dollars.customer provides all parts except copper shielding foil.IMHO...thats a fair deal.