How much to charge for a recording session?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by silentstranger, Aug 23, 2004.

1. So I played a gig with this band a few months ago...not much of a turnout, but it went well musically. I decided that I wasn't interested in joining the band as a full-time member, but made it clear that I would be willing to play gigs and/or record with them in the future. Well, they called me a couple days ago about a possible recording opportunity. Cool.

The problem is, I have no idea what to charge, or even the best way to bring it up or anything like that (I played the one gig for a cut of the door from the bar, which was next to nothing...didn't get paid by the band themselves, nor did I ask/demand/expect it). How much do I charge, and should I do it by the hour, by the track, by the album (if it's that big of a session)...? :confused: I'm hoping to get some input from other guys like me: freelancers who maybe haven't been in the game very long, and who haven't attained the level of first-call pros or anything like that. Input from seasoned pros is appreciated too, but something tells me I won't be able to demand quite as much as y'all :)

I'm currently playing phone tag with these guys, so hopefully I can get some responses before they call me back again :D