1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much to charge for a recording session?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by silentstranger, Aug 23, 2004.

1. So I played a gig with this band a few months ago...not much of a turnout, but it went well musically. I decided that I wasn't interested in joining the band as a full-time member, but made it clear that I would be willing to play gigs and/or record with them in the future. Well, they called me a couple days ago about a possible recording opportunity. Cool.

The problem is, I have no idea what to charge, or even the best way to bring it up or anything like that (I played the one gig for a cut of the door from the bar, which was next to nothing...didn't get paid by the band themselves, nor did I ask/demand/expect it). How much do I charge, and should I do it by the hour, by the track, by the album (if it's that big of a session)...? :confused: I'm hoping to get some input from other guys like me: freelancers who maybe haven't been in the game very long, and who haven't attained the level of first-call pros or anything like that. Input from seasoned pros is appreciated too, but something tells me I won't be able to demand quite as much as y'all :)

I'm currently playing phone tag with these guys, so hopefully I can get some responses before they call me back again :D