Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much to drink to "get loaded"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dTune, Mar 4, 2004.

1. 5-10

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. 10-15

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 15-20

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 20-25

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. My liver is like a sponge, I can drink all I want.

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    The thread about alcohol before gigs at band management forum made me think of asking this. We finns are generally accused of bad tolerance for booze. This gave me an idea, TalkBass being an international forum, to check out how much people can usually take around the world. Give me a personal opinion, it doesn't necessarily give a wide picture, but let's try out.
    I know, childish perhaps, but it would be nice to know.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What measurements?

American beer: 25+ :p

3. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    Oh yeah, that I forgot. A 3cl shot of 40% vodka is the "unit", about the same as one (small) beer over here. And I don't mean 20 shots in 20 minutes, just as a measurement.. :) Thinking afterwards, I should've put a couple more choces in the poll...

4. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    If each shot is only 40 proof then it'll be at least 10 or 12 before I even start to get buzzed. But then again both of my grandfathers were hardcore alcoholics. I put 20-25, that sounds about right at 40 proof.

5. Mate, Iam an Aussie, and I live in Darwin which is 90% humidity and 36 degrees most of the time, man, We know how to sauce. It's so bloody hot, that you can drink alot of fluids. Sometimes before a gig, in the afternoon I might have 4-5 beers and have more over dinner (wine,beer, port) then go to the gig and start on the rumbo. With the venues giving you free drinks and the crowd buying shots, well... yeh thats the darwin music scene. Its nothing to be proud of mind you, but water doesn't quench your thirst if you know what I mean. And you sweat it out. And I have been playing 5 nites a week for 4 years straight, And funnily enough it doesnt effect my playing, sortta used to it now. Just wondering when the insanity is going to end!!! :hyper:

6. Try this one on for size:

Scotch glass, shot chartruese (green), shot tequila,And heaps of tobasco..... :help:
    a few of them soon liven you up.

7. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    And one more thing, also the 20 shots in 20 hrs is not what i'm after, that's about the same as not drinking at all.. :D

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

If by American beer you mean swill like Bud and Miller, yes, but you should know that we have MANY micro brews and craft brews that make superb quality beer, some of which follow even the strict German standards. It's gotten a LOT better in the past decade. Same with coffee, actually.

10. I'm told I had 17 shots of 38% whiskey and 40% brandy mixed (go on, tell me how smart I am!) at my granny's place. I passed out, so I'm not sure if it's an exaggeration or not, but I definately had more than had more than 12, so that would be my limit. Not a fun experience, and since then (a year ago), I've not had more than 2 cans of beer in a night. :)

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    There's just no way for me to give an accurate answer to this. First, it depends on how much I've got in my stomach, then it also depends upon my condition, I may be particularly stressed that day, I may be well-rested or not well-rested, I may be focused on something else). It also depends on if I'm drinking with a meal or not, and of course, how fast I'm drinking.

Then, different beers have different levels of alcohol. A Chimay Blue is going to be higher in alcohol than a Guinness. If it's wine, alcohol plays a big role again. A California Zinfandel is going to have a much higher content that a German Spatlese Reisling or something of the like.

If I'm drinking liquor, is it scotch or martinis?

Bottom line, is that it varies.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ...what is it? Oh yeah... ME TOO! :D :D

13. I would agree with Bruce; after about six pints, or mixed drinks, almost no one can claim that they're sober.

Then, as Jazzbo said, it does vary as to what you mean by loaded.

A quiet person may drink 50 - 100% more than a loudmouth, and never cause an ounce of trouble. No one notices how loaded he/she is.

Mike

14. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    They do when he/she tries to stand up!

For me id say about 5-6 pints, mind you, i dont really like drinking anymore, and havnt drank much for about 4 or 5 months, except for one can of bud i had the other week when i couldnt sleep....

15. Quite true! But the loudmouth is much more likely to be knocked down! :D

Mike :D

16. On the average week night, I normally drink a six-pack (that's 6x 341ml, 5 or 5.5% alcohol), and this is just enough to help me sleep a bit better.

To answer the question ("how many does it take?"), it depends on many factors. When I'm tired, it takes a lot less to get drunk. If I go to my favorite watering hole on a thursday night after the job, before eating, I'll take five or six "grosses bières" (that's 625ml each @ 5% alcohol) and get totally wasted. If I had rest and a good meal though, I can ingest many more (8-10).

It also depends on how fast you drink. It takes me approximately 45 minutes to empty a "grosse bière", and much more if I'm playing (one "grosse bière" will last almost an entire set, that's around 1.5 hour).

And of course, it depends on your corporal mass, and how long you've been drinking.

Cheers! :hyper:

17. I´d say over twenty, although I don´t even remember the last time I was really drunk. And it has to be hard liquor; with beer I spend more time peeing than drinking so it doesn´t cut it.

18. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    6 bottles of Ole "33" and I'm ripped. Anything over 8 and I'll pass out.

19. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    About 4 or 5 beers before any real "ill effects", but I'm not a big guy and I don't drink much anymore.

To get completely wasted, probably more like 8.

20. Excuses excuses excuses... lightweight! ;) Good on ya, I started drinking beer when I was 11, moved to harder stuff around 14, and since I've stopped I've been feeling much better. It's also fun seeing how stupid everyone else is when you're sober and they're all langered!:D