Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much to drive a pair of B4s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tash, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Hypothetical situation: you want a rig that can creat the most monstrous low end possible without even a hit of growl or distortion, a total sonic clean slate.

You decide to get a pair of Acme B4s, one full range, one B4w subwoofer.

How many watts do you need to shove into them to get the volume and punch you crave?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nobody can answer that without knowing how much volume you want/need. I myself would probably look at 2000-2500 W, but it all depends on how loud you want to be.

I personally think it would be a waste of time to get a B4W if you're not biamping, which Andy Lewis doesn't recommend anyway. A regular B4 has just as much bass and has the other drivers too.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    from what i've read 'round here only a QSC PLX3004 will do.

and yes, i'm finding, looking, searching for all options in being able to use such a rig. :p

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Loud enough that it feels like you got kicked in the crotch when I hit a low B. This is a hypothetical rig used for the most demanding low end applications, and killing all squirrels who infest local trees....

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Standing how close? In what size venue? What kind of music? With PA support or without? I'm not trying to bust your chops, but "loud" has no real meaning without context. If you really want to sterilize small animals, you might want four B-4s and something like a Carvin DCM4000.:D

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You know these details suck all the fun out such threads

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    QSC PLX 3402 bridged into 4 ohms. Ooomph.

Alex

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    more like "Hulk MAD!!!!!" :D

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that a Crest CA9 would drive two Low B-4's quite nicely. Despite being "only" 900w per channel into 4 ohms, it is extremely loud, full, dynamic and tight on the low end, and pairs up wonderfully with ACME cabs. It is my preferred SS amp for use with bass cabs.

Tom.

10. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    LOTS AND LOTS!!! WOOO!!!! Hehehehehe. Try a pair of large amps bridged, or one huge ass stereo power amp, like what has bee suggested, a plx3402.

You could always try one of those crazy large power light amps by qsc, the ones that can pump out 6000 watts into 4 ohms bridged. Apparently they are only 9.5 kgs also. If you have the budget for it. Mmmmmm. Headroom. My favourite.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Think in terms of 1kw per box as a good minimum....

You're gonna want that extra mid and high speaker....

And...having stood in front of a big stack of Acme playing LOUD before...it WILL make you a little sick to your stomach after about an hour so, figure on needing to get at least...ten or so feet away from the boxes if you want to avoid that.

12. I had this rig for awhile, with two B-4's. Oooomph indeed.

Here was my big-ole thread about bridging a PLX 3402 into two B-4's. Click

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    So what happened to it?

14. "Times change, people change, hairstyles change, interest rates fluctuate..."

Actually, my all-time favorite amp is the Mesa 400+, but at the time I made the switch to the pre/power/Acme rig, I'd had it with my Mesa speakers. I decided to sell the whole lot and go in an entirely new direction. I gigged the Acme rig for a while and it turns out I really missed the tube amp. It also turns out (I was very surprised at this) that I like my bass tone to be colored by amps and cabinets. Acme's are for people that want an extremely accurate representation of the tone of their bass...but like I said, I found that I actually like coloration imposed by tubes and cabinet construction.

I had an opportunity to buy back my 400+ that I sold, and I jumped on it...but to do so meant that I had to rethink my cabinet situation. I opted for a sealed cabinet with no bells and whistles, which led me to the Berg.

I ended up selling the Acme's to an avid Acme user, and as far as I know, we're both extremely happy now.

ps. I rarely, if ever, play with a Low B string anymore. If I did, I would have probably kept them.