1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much to pay for a used RI Mustang?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, May 1, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Various Guitar Centers around the country have them available ranging from $500 to $680 (including a '78 black on black for $800...although I normally wouldn't consider vintage this is a rather enticing offer). I wanted to know what a reasonable price for a used Mustang might be.

The other issue, of course, is the fact that I wouldn't be able to try before I buy and would have to have it shipped to a GC near me if I wanted it. I was hoping someone had advice on this practice and what I need to look out for. I figure I could buy new but I'd rather save my money if possible and get a good used one instead.

[EDIT] And what should I be looking/asking for when I try contacting these guys? I don't want to get ripped off.

2. 78 is one of the worst years for fender, id have to try that one first.

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I disagree. I had a '78 Jazz and a '78 Precision that were excellent sounding and playing basses, and a '78 Musicmaster that was as good as any other Musicmaster bass I've ever run across. My dad's '78 Mustang guitar is a thing of beauty; the fit and finish on all were very good, and all sounded and played fine. Also, the 'S8' serial number Fenders were produced from '78 to as late as '82, so that bass might not even be a '78.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That's a good policy for any instrument.

5. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    True but it's not totally an option here for me. But would the next-best option be to have the thing shipped to a local GC so I could try it out before taking it home? Next best option methinks.

6. if you have it shipped to your house, you can return it to your local store. I've been gassing for one of these shortscales too. Look on ebay. You can find 70's for sub $700 sometimes.

7. Ok , a whole 4 instruments. There production instruments they vary from one to another but if any point in fender history they sucked the most it was around 78-80ish. More lemons were produce then than any other time, plenty of people would agree with that. It does not mean everyone sucked jut more then any other time period for fender.

i have yet to play a late 70's fender i enjoyed, ever.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Four instruments to your zero instruments. You've proven nothing, though you have managed to repeat yourself. In my experience, what you've said is not true.

9. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG!!!

Just kidding. But on a serious note, what should I be asking the guys at GC?