How much to recondtion a 1970s V4B?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MichelD, Apr 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    Has anyone had a V4B rebuilt lately?

Mine hums and farts and quacks and over heats and cuts out.

I may need the whole nine yards: re-tube, re-cap and who knows what else.

I wonder what that would set me back?

I don't use it, it just sits in my music room as a 60-pound paperweight, but at least if it's fixed I could play along with my records or even take it out to a show or two. Or sell it if it's worth it. I have a big old 2x15 Ampeg Cab for it, but it's such a pig I have a Fender 2x15 Showman cab I used to use when I played in loud bands.

Nowadays I just use my little 30-year-old Roland Cube 60 and it's adequate for little shows I do occasionally with low volume performers.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

The cost entirely depends on what is wrong with the amp in the first place. Sorry but I can’t be more helpful than that.

3. Since it is working you are ahead of the game. I just checked ebay, you can get a new quad set of Tung Sol 7027A's for about $120.00 if it needs them. I would imagine a good tech would charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $150-$200 to recap it with new caps included. Those amps are worth at least double the total today probably 800.00 and up, it may not even need tubes, one tube is kind of expensive and hard to find but they're out there. 6K11's, 20-40 bucks, they last a long time though, I had one years ago and never had to replace any tubes in it. There is a mod also, change it to 6550 tubes and it will gain about 20-30 more watts.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Recap and retube - if it needs those things - likely at least a few hundred.

Worth an actual diagnosis at least, that will probably run you closer to a half hour/bench fee. Maybe $30-50? Figure out what needs to be done to get it right before you assume it's not worth doing.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Will be totally worth it once it is ready to go

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    I could remove the problem for free :)

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Those amps run hot. The PCB solder joints need to be carefully inspected and reflowed if necessary. Often these amps need a good cleaning.

8. You are asking an open ended question.
    What it needs will run somewhere in the range of;
    Just needs to be gently wiped down to clean the dust off the tolex
    to
    Jack up the top handle and slide a new amp under it. :laugh:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021