Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Much to retube and Ampeg SVT Classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Feb 8, 2006.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I have a friend whose Ampeg SVT Classic just died on the road--most likely a broken tube. Has anyone had this happen to them?

He wanted to get a sense for how much to replace the tube, and since he is on the road he cannot check into this so easily. Is this a $50 repaid? $200? Ballpark is fine-- neither of us have any idea.

Thanks.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You can get KT-88's from JJ Electric for about $30-35 each.

3. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I though the SVT Classic only took 6550's. Is it compatible with KT-88's.

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    www.tubedepot.com

the stock tubes are 6550 power tubes, 12AX7 & 12AU7 preamp tubes. but your buddy really should have a tech take a look if he is inexperienced

5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks. This is good info. But what do you thing installation would cost on top of the tube parts if he had a pro tech do it? is this a $200 repair all in?

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Sorry, cant answer that, I dont pay for tech work. Tubes do eventually crap out, but sometimes something else in the amp may cause a tube to fail. A similar example is if your car battery dies, maybe the battery has just expired, or maybe your alternator is bad. He could buy the tubes and replace them himself and maybe thats all the amp needs. But I prefer to be safe than sorry when it comes to my amps and personally would have it looked over. Thats the best answer I can give, but I bumped your thread so maybe someone else can help.