how much to you practice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nickis thebest, Mar 26, 2001.

1. not at all

2 vote(s)
  2. few times a week

18 vote(s)
  3. about an hour a day

64 vote(s)
  4. two or more hours daily

39 vote(s)
  5. how can i prcatice when i'm on talkbass all day?

4 vote(s)
  1. my parents are always complaining because i never put my guitar down, i walk around the house all day just playing guitar
    does anybody else have this problem?
  2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000 much I practise really depends on how much free time I have, if I´m in my room 90 % of the time I´m playing bass, but if I´m somewhere else...that would be kinda stupid because I´m on a boarding school..
  3. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    I used to be able to practice for hours on end (though looking back I was doing alot more of nothing than actual practicing), not so much nowadays. I usually pick up the bass a couple times a day for anywhere between a half hour to an hour and a half or so, depending on my mood and what I'm working on.

I tend to retain new information easier if I break my practice sessions up like that. I get burnt out pretty easily. Then there are days when I just don't pick up the bass at all, sometimes that day off is just what I need to put things in perspective.

That's pretty much my deal when it comes to practicing, now jamming, that I could do all day and night :)
  4. The only thing I spend as much time on as practicing that isn't work is sleep.

2 hours of each/24 hours.

5. I put down 1 hour, but when I'm with the band I play 2+.
  6. I practice a lot b/c my lessons are pretty tough, so I have to prepare myself. Plus I just love playing. Somedays I'll go only about 45 min. On other days I'll go for 2+ hours. There have been a few times when my band is going to play for people that we'll practice together for 6-8 hours. It's real tiring.
  7. at least an hour a day, but i love jammin, i can do that all day!
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Voted a few times a week, due to the fact that with two kids, and a wife that never really realized she married a musician (even complains when I whistle, doing something like vacuuming at the same time), longer periods of practice is hard to do.
    However, long pratice is not necessary. 15 minutes a day will do marvel -- as long as it is EVERY day.

Continuity and quality, not quantity, will bring abilty!
  9. Will right now i am off work on disability so I have lots of time to practice, but usually I go down 2 or 3 times a day to the basement and get in at least 1 hour each time, but i dont really time myself, Just stop when I get tired. Like someone else said, it is easier to retain info if you take small bites at a time. There are days though when I do not get any practice in, but they are rare, but I agree, just any practice is good, even 15 minuites a day.
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It really depends on time. My total commute to and from work everyday is an hour and a half, and it's common to work 10 hours or more in a day. Then, my girlfriend lives in San Francisco, and I live just outside of SF, and anyone who knows the Bay Area knows that getting 20 miles can take an hour and a half. Then I've got things to tend to at home, so it's hard to find the time I want. During the week, I usually get an hour of practice 2-3 times a week, and the other weekdays will be 20 minutes of doodling (not that constructive). On the weekends I try and get a total of about 3 hours of independent practice, and band rehearsals are usually 3 and a half hours.

All said and done, it's not nearly as much time as I wish.
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    During the week about 2hrs a day-depending on how long I'm @ home. Weekends-varies from 2 hrs to 6hrs. The night i brought my ashbory home i played for 8 :eek: got home @ 2 didn't put it down until 10. I think my practice time is gonna be reducing soon-just got a girlfriend.....if the bass playin suffers she's gone :D
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That's the way it was for me. Not necessarily a bad thing, I love my girlfriend. She's very understanding of me needing to practice. (Mostly because I suck!) Like it or not though, I spend less time practicing because we're doing things together.
  13. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's what happened to me. You know how I fixed it? I did two things...proposed to her and got a MIM Jazz to keep at her place! That fixed ALL my problems:D LOL
  14. bout girlfriend IS a bassist. Heh...
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    my wifey plays keyboards... I sometimes try to improv while she does her classical pieces. She likes to play Canon alot.
  16. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How funny is that? My girlfriend has a MIM Jazz too. She had gotten it about 2 months before we started dating, but is finishing up a graduate school program right now and hasn't been able to practice for some time.
  17. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I wish I had a girlfriend...

I usually practice an hour or 2 six days a week
  18. I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    I practice as much or as little as I want to...I try and jam with other people at least twice a week for about 2 or 3 hours each time. On the other days, I'll try and play music that I don't get to practice with people, write my own lines, play piano to work on theory, or just read bass/guitar/chordal theory books to improve my overall comfort with music in general. Since I still consider playing bass a hobby and a passion, and not work, I try and meander when I want to so that I don't get tired of it. And I'm sure you all know how tiring music theory and composition can be when the people you play with tell you it's not necessary...yeah...that's right...not necessary...hehe
  19. i clicked 2+.... but I actually don´t _practice_ that much.. I´m just playing something I feel like playing... :)

and when I´m with my band, we usually play for 1 - 2 hours..
  20. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    3/4 to 1 hour, 4 to 5 days a week and a 3 hours rehearsal once a week.
    But I keep this level of practicing only for 3 months now ... since I've started reading talkbass ;)
    It has re-motivated me to be better.