Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much TV do you watch?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Feb 3, 2003.

1. None

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. 0-1

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. 1-2

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. 2-3

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. 3-4

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. 4 or more

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I've been having this debate with a friend of mine about watching TV. She watches TV all the time, and I can't stand it because she will call me during a commercial and talk to me until the commercial is over. When the commercial is over, she proceeds to watch TV, and anytime I say anything I always get a "huh?" or "what?" or something like that because she's watching the TV and not listening to me. Problem is, she gets mad at me when I want to hang up, even though she hardly says anything, except during the commercials.

So, this stems a debate between us, and now a question from me to you.

How many hours of TV do you watch per week? It's hard to break down how much per day because I'm sure everybody has different things they like to watch at different times, but during any given week, exactly how many hours of entertaining TV (not news shows, etc.) do you watch?

2. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    kill your tv, man ... do it. you won't understand until you do, but after about three to six months of withdrawal ... you'll feel yout soul returning.

i killed my tv in august 2002 ... the only thing i miss is letterman (all i ever watched anyway) ... and when i see it occassionally in a bar or somewhere ... that's enough.

3. If you mean hours, i said 4 or more.

If you mean days, all i got to say to those who chose 4 or more is : Get a fricking life, you couchpotato !

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I assume you mean hours per week.

If so, do you really want 4 as your highest option?!? 4 hours a week of telly ain't all that much.

Also, you missed the obligatory 'carrots' option (BTW, where the hell did that originate?).

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - once again we have a stoopid poll - I mean everybody is honestly going to be either more than 4 hours a week or not at all !

If you watch less than 4 hours a week it would not be worth owning a TV !

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok I've added mine up. Being as I don't watch TV on weekdays really (except Simpsons if I'm home in time, and Friends on a Friday), and not much on the weekends (X Files on a Sunday) - it's about 4 hours I suppose.

But, I gotta watch that Michael Jackson thing on ITV tonight :)

7. The only time I watch TV is when I am at home on leave, which is about 2 times a year. Other than that, I have way too many other things to do that are more important than the TV. The only thing I miss is the news. I try to get it on the net, but I still don't keep that up to date unless it is something very major.

Geoff

8. Bruce Lindfield

And that's presumably from somebody who spends a large part of their time sitting down in front of a PC typing stuff like this!! ;)

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

TalkBass.com is where I spend too much time!:eek:

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Touche! ;)

11. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Is this necessary?

12. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I was not raised on cable..so TV has never really been but. I now know that that was a good thing. I will watch it if I am dead bored, but now all I watch is Letterman and Conan, and any other times the roomate has it on and I happen to be watching.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Is the poll necessary - especially when the lack of thought behind it, has rendered it effectively meaningless!!

Why not just ask the question - there was no need for the poll!

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I haven't watched TV in over 6 years. It's weird, because anytime you do see one in a bar or something, what ever they are showing on there is extremely bizarre. The shows they put on now are just horrifying. Reality TV is a good reason for me to never buy a TV again.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

About 10 hours per week: Simpsons, NFL, a few shows on Comedy Central.

Don't ask me how many hours I play Xbox. :D

16. Well, i answered 0-1 (hours/week i assume) i don't intend to watch tv but as i walk through the living room and someone is watching tv i can't help of having a quick look at the screen. i stopped watching tv (as in turning it on and actually follow a program on it) when i bought my bass. thank god, i'm an bass addict now.

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    BURN ;)

Edit: I lived with no TV for three years when I was in university... my GF eventually made me get one :D

The only thing I missed watching was hockey!

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

I have a television, but it's for watching DVDs and videos. I have no antenna or cable or satellite connection. I do miss stations like Bravo, The History Channel and ESPN, for that's what I watched when I had TV. I don't miss it at all. I am a member of Netflix, so when I need to bum out in front of the tube, I watch a 2 hour film, about once a week, and my needs are done. I'm not subjected to TVs mind-numbing pointlessness, I've got the PC and internet for that, and I've got my PS2 as well. What do I need cable or network tv for??

19. How much TV?

About 1 hr per day.

Content?

Typically sitcoms, HBO original series shows, movies on cable, and DVD/VHS movies. Austin City Limits, too.

Never, never EVER do the wife and I watch sports, we absolutely hate sports (except natl/ world superbike racing:cool::D) or news (completely depressing these days).

By the way, I chose not to judge OR hassle people for:
    1) How much time they spend on the computer
    2) How much TV they watch, or
    3) What polls they chose to post

Live and let live. Do as you please. Have a nice day.
    :D

b

20. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I agree with the "no tv" philosophy. I myself watch 2 or 3 shows a week plus the occasional hockey game which puts me at around 3 hours. However, when I move out, i seriously doubt I will invest in a television. My playstation hooks up to my video card, and I have a huge monitor and surround sound for DVD's..all i need is my computer. :D