1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much volume from a pair of GS112's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silky smoove, Apr 23, 2009.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Just for fun I've been considering picking up a pair of GS112's to go with my DB750 as a modular 2x112 rig. I've got a Schroeder 410R to handle the bigger stages, or the smaller rooms where the bass doesn't go into the PA.

Considering I run a DB750 with a basically flat EQ; How much volume can I expect out of a pair of GS112's? More specifically, how would the volume compare to the same amp, bass, player, etc. into a pair of GS112's versus my Schroeder 410R?

2. I don't think you'll notice a volume drop. I went from SWR G3 to a pair of DB112's and there was no noticable difference.

3. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Might be a fun experiment, and given the used price of GS112's... I might have to buy some cabs this weekend :D

4. being able to carry the cabs in each hand makes a huge difference to portability over the 410... and you'll often only need one for rehearsals etc.

5. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I typically make one trip with my rack (DB750, Korg DTR-1000) in one hand and a bass in the other, then a second trip for my 410. Running two GS112's won't save me a trip, but maybe it would make one of the trips easier and would offer something different tonally.

6. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    I went that way first then ended up getting the GS212 - 4 ohm for my small to medium gigs. Same sonic footprint as the two 112's, I just found it easier with it on wheels and it's still relatively light if you do have to lift it. Off the DB750 it's done some surprisingly loud gigs.

7. A gig bag would fix that ;)

8. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    O have run GS112s for about 10 years... or when ever they came out... I play pretty loud and a pair will sound almost as huge as two 15 generic cabs.. the have deep low end bass.. Some say they are mid scooped.. perhaps... i think if you run the tweeter up loud you def get the mic scoop image due to the big bass in that cab.
    I had 4 of them and just sold two and got some Genz112s and a pair of DB112s.. they work great with my Shuttle 6 or MAX12... Real nice with a mesa M6 too.. i have an old SVT head that is very creamy with those cabs...
    If you get them new it took a gig or two to get them to break in and then i notice a deeper bass end...
    They can easily cover your normal bar gig without PA... unless you are up against a wall of marshalls or equivalent..

9. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't say about the 112's. But, I have a GS212 that is the best "smaller" cabinet I have owned. Rivals most 410's.

10. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I ran a GS112 and a Bag End S15D with a Stewart 1.2 for years. Loud as all hell. Plenty of volume with 2 guitars and miked drums. The Aguilar is very efficient (102db) and takes a real beating as well.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    My guess would be that the Schroeder might have a little more perceived volume, due to the mid-heavy voicing of that cab, plus the extra cone area of (4) 10s vs (2) 12s. But the GS112 stack would probably sound deeper, rounder and smoother from a qualitative standpoint (i.e. not just raw volume)... :meh:

MM

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    not anymore... 95dB according to the website.

my own experience is w/ a pair of the current 95dB cab & AG500, and it wasnt quite loud enough for a very heavy handed drummer w/ a 14x6.5 brass snare. i was pushing til the cones were fluttering a touch. so much so, i've been thinking hard about going w/ a pair of DB210's for my small but louder than loud rig.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can carry a rack with a DB750 and tuner in one hand? Holy crap!

14. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Well, I've owned both these exact cabs stacks, although with different heads (Iamp 800 and ag500). For me, the Schroeder 410R is loud enough for anything, and the 2 gs112s always had trouble cutting through. But those were not quiet bands. It will be a very different tone, so if you're looking to get variety, you'll achieve that.

15. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The Schroeder is going to appear louder because of it's voicing. Those cabs just cut cut cut when it comes to a mix. They also sport a very fast response.

You can EQ some punch to the GS 112's but they are not nearly as present in the mix as anything Schroeder. They also sound bigger and fatter and are a touch slower to respond but nothing I'd say that was truly sluggish like some 15's. The GS112 is one of my favorite 1x15's.

I think they will get just about as loud as a 410 but with the different voicings they might not seem it... And with that said, the 750 is certainly not the most mid-voiced or flexible amp out there. Great tone and volume, but not necessarily the best fit for GS112's (especially when in a pair with the headroom the 750 gives in spades) if you need a lot more than fat thump.

The Schroeder 410 to Aguilar GS112 is apples to celery. Both are edible and tasty but one is better for pie and the other goes better with bleu cheese and wings.

16. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

Glad you discovered the DB 210! I just want to point out that the specs were corrected for the GS drivers; but the drivers themselves are unchanged.

DB

17. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm big and still relatively young so its not too big of a deal... although... Next month I do enter my LATE 20's :crying: I hope after the calendar pushes me to 27 I'll still be able to one hand my rack :smug:

18. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I used to gig a pair of GS112's with my DB750. It was a really nice alternative to lugging my GS410 around, and I often preferred the sound as well. I didn't really notice much of a lack of volume when compared to the 410, but the 410 did sound noticably fuller.

Oh, and I can also one-hand my DB750 and tuner in a rack.. But only for short distances :D

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea, the db210's are quite the eye openers. and again, love the compact shape and easy carry. well done.

silky, given that you're running the 750 flat, i highly recommend you try one or a pair of db210's. they're voiced great right out of the box, and would probably be awesome match for the 750. it wont be as smooth as the gs112's, but man, you'll have no trouble in the volume dpt, i'm thinking.

20. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    You still have the AG500?