How much was your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lozenger, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    Just out of curiosity, how much did you lot pay for your first bass. And would it be possible for me to find a pretty good bass, first hand for under £200?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yes, a squier affinity p-bass. They are great first basses. I still have mine and have gutted it and replaced many parts, and it is still an active part of my bass arsenal.
  3. my first was a Washburn XB-100. i think it was $190 or so. still have it, althought it's dismembered at the moment.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I paid $330 (plus sales tax) for my 1974 Fender Precision bass (natural finish, maple fingerboard) back in 1974. Figuring in inflation...that's over $1000 in 2003 dollars...

Do you want a new instrument for its newness? I'd strongly recommend a good used instrument. It's less expensive, it's still very usable and since it's been played, the neck and everything will have settled in and you'll be sure to get a good one.

I'm not sure what gear prices are like in the UK but you can get a really nice used bass in the US for $300...and some pretty good new ones for that too...especially if you get lucky with a big blow out sale at a place like Guitar Center. Case in point, my MIM Deluxe Active Jazz 5 was purchased last October for $220 US which was 70% off of list price. They just wanted to get rid of it and I was more than happy to help:D

Good luck!!!
  5. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    MY first was a Squier Affinity P... 150 new for me.

I regret buying it, and wish i had gone witht he Yamaha RBX170.. excellent beginner bass.
  6. my first was a Austin wanna be P bass. Its really ****ty and sounds really dull and crappy. but i liked it when i started. i got mine for 150 brand new. but it was funny because i used it froa bout a year, then bought a fender jazz bass, and after playing the jazz for liek 1min i said "hey....i cant hear my mistakes anymore....YAAAAAAAAAAA'
  7. My first "real" bass came via a trade of $100 plus an Electrovoice 664 mic, for which I received a mildly abused '57 Fender P that I still have and play. Of course that was in '66... so long ago.
  8. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    My first bass was a Gibson EB-0 with the big DiMarzio Model 1 replacement pickup. I think the model year was 1971, but I bought it in 1980 for $150.00. I didn't have the cash, but my folks let me take the money out of savings and then pay myself back. I bought it from one of the graduating seniors in my high school jazz band. The other senior had a 1976 P-Bass (sunburst with maple neck), but she wasn't going to sell it at the time. I really wanted the P-Bass. Probably would still have it today.
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hmmm my first bass was teh one for sale in my sig :D. I defretted it and toyed with it for awhile, but I want to try the Brice fretless 6, so its gotta go. I onlt play it for kicks anymore. I paid $250 for it..too abd I didn't have TB when I first started or I could ahve gotten a much better deeal, lol.
  10. My first bass was (and is) a Yamaha RBX 370. Lovely, well I like it anyways...paid £220 for it mail-order.
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I paid $250 for my first bass.. I still have it.. locked up in the closet
  12. My 1st bass was a very VERY crappy Westfield p-bass and it was just terrible. But now I have a 5 string (Ibanez GSR205) and I'm happy now.:bassist:
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Fifty male deer for a Lotus Applause P copy.
  14. An Ibanez GSR200 for $170. I sold it to this kid I dont like for $200.;)
  15. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Ibanez GSR100 $200 :(
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My 1st bass was an MIM Standard Jazz & it was $249 or $279 plus tax.
  17. $180 ESP B-50 , untill I get a job I'll still be using it....
  18. mines a fender p-bass i like its my first and only one until i have more than 5 cents in my pocket i paid like $150 for
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez, this had to be around 1972! My mom bought me a no-name (I think it was a Univox) Beatle Bass copy (in Green) and I believe it was about $125. My next bass was a Univox SG bass copy which I think my mom paid about $150 for it.I made that bass work for me (although I couldn't slap on it) and I got pretty damn good too but lost out on a lot of opportunities because I didn't have a Jazz or any other pro bass! And I had that bass until 1990! Didn't get my first 'pro' bass until then. A D'Agostino passive 5 stringer! At age 31! :bassist: