How much Wattage does each Speaker Receive in Bridged Mode?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 6, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Ok, massive Noob question,

but if i've got a power amp pushing 1200 watts @ 4 ohms into two 8 ohm speakers in a daisy chain, do both get 1200 or 600 each?
  2. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    each cab will get 600
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

ok, one more noob question.

which setup would be punchier?

- running in the bridged daisy'ed @ 8 ohms each for a total of 4 ohms??

- running in stereo with 500 watts to each 4 ohm cab?
  4. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    running in stereo with 500 watts to each 4 ohm cab?

I thought you said that they were 8 ohm cabs? Is that a hypothetical question?
  5. what he said. "prolly" heh heh...
  6. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Most of the time you'll be better off running a 4-ohm cab separately on each channel, instead of trying to squeeze the last ounce of power out of the amp in bridged mode.

Since you're talking Acme B-2s, the ideal configuration is a pair of 4 ohm cabs and an amp rated at 700 watts/ch at 4 ohms (e.g., the QSC PLX-2402, Crest CA-6, Crown K2). 500 watts/ch won't be that noticeably different, and if you're on the lower side of the volume scale, it will work fine. Some people with the PLX-1602 find it adequate, and some don't.

The thing about bridged mode, in addition to stressing the amp, is that it sounds different than normal stereo operation (most likely due to the change in damping factor). Some people like the sound, and some people don't. If you had two 8-ohm cabs, then I'd say try it bridged and try it stereo, and see which you prefer...

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If bridged mode sounds different (other than louder), the amp is defective.

The difference in damping factor is too small to matter.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i'm talking about two wholly different setups.

Using a Peavey DPC1400x

Setup A: 1400 watts bridged into two daisy chained 8 ohm cabs

Setup B: two stereo channels of 500 watts each into two separate 4 ohm cabs.

which setup would be punchier and cleaner?