1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much wattage???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Durockrolly, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Nov 26, 2012
    So. Cal.
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new bass amp. I had a thread here a couple months ago wanting opinions on the Markbass CMD 151 Jeff Berlin. While that amp is at the top of my list I am making a last effort to see what else I may consider. My question to you is how much wattage do I really need? I am a blues guitarist that's moving into the bass side of the blues (blues jams). I play only small to medium sized bars. The drummer is never miced. The guitarist seldom plays more than a 65 watt amp.

Thanks.

2. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    200, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

X8

3. Considering the facemelting potential of 65w tube amps some more detail would be useful. Some guitarists ( apologies to actual guitarists ) need to crank them to get "my tone, man".

300w SS amp and a 2x15 will get you through anything.

4. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Nov 26, 2012
    So. Cal.
    The bands I play with at the jams keep it at a medium level. One of my go to amps is a 65w Twin Reverb and I doubt I ever get to 5 on the volume.

5. There's a lot to be said for carrying a big stick and speaking softly. You may prefer to get the job done with the minimum of fuss. Horses for courses.

Those new 100w tube Fenders and a 2x15 might appeal, or a gk mb200 and an avatar 2x10 would probably scrape by. Go play some rigs, it's nice having 2 15's behind you but not necessary in bars with 100 chatty boozehounds.

6. +1

I would rather turn down my big rig, than not have enough amp behind me.

7. BAce

BAce

Jul 31, 2012
    I may be a bit of a power hog, but I personally go for 10 times the power of the gui****s in the band. So take a look at 650 Watts plus. One of our gui****s plays a 30, the other a 50. I have 1000. Works out OK. This is assuming no PA support of course. For the gui****s too. :)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ooch, that's a lot of wattage!

I see no reason something like 300w into a 115 wouldn't work for you, even smaller wattage, too. I'm more about the Ampeg Portaflex or Micro VR stuff ;) but something along those lines I think would be fine. Might consider doubling up on the cabs for larger gigs, but I've done a lot of gigs in a similar situation as yours with a 115 and far less wattage.

9. The "how many watts do I need" question really varies from band to band but there's no real reason to go less than 500 watts these days. Power is cheap and light - and (personally) I've never been caught short with a 500 watter.

10. Egorz

Egorz

Mar 23, 2013
    Tried a tc electronic bh500 head the other day, very good head in that price range with with plenty of umph IMO. Tried a lot of amps and definately buying one. :D

Wouldn't necessarily look at watts too much as all companys do different calcs to come up with stated outputs, which aren't always comparable. Have a 300 watt combo i use a lot, and that head is MASSIVELY louder. A lot of winging about the forum on the bh500 that its only 250 watts, again just the way they calculate it in terms of peak blast blah blah!

Would say more about the air you can push with bass amps, need to try a few before you buy, personal taste is everything!

11. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    That Markbass will do the job. 300W into a 15, can add another 15 later for 500W if you need to. Nice setup and easy to load in/out.

As always, try before you buy, though.

12. lineboss58

lineboss58

Oct 26, 2007
    I used a rig on wedneday night that was 1400 watts, i prefer clean tones over all. If i want some grind i change the gain to get the pre amp to overload, but i like to keep the master output clean. Many people dont understand that the first casualty of clipping is the lower frequencys, i love lows which is why i took up bass in the first place.

13. Point of reference, a 50W Marshall 4x12 guitar rig has to be under control to not stuff up a mix with a 250W Trace and 1x15.

14. lineboss58

lineboss58

Oct 26, 2007
    I couldnt agree more however i might add, guitarist's and restraint are not words to be used in the same sentence. I may add, wattage with bass players is a bit like condoms. Id rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

15. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    What are condoms?

16. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    ... eventually including a hospital door for a bad back.

17. I always get help on the stairs with mine, rest of the time it tips slides and rolls. Pick it up? you got to be kidding sunshine!

18. Love my Berlin combo and use it primarily as you intend to use your's. I recently added the NY151 extension cab and don't think I'll ever need more power or volume.

19. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Nov 26, 2012
    So. Cal.
    I remember our chat from my last thread, TN WOODMAN! The JB combo is most likely the way I'm going, but at around a grand, I just want to make sure I've covered all my basses. For everyone that contributed to this thread, I thank you. As far as "go out and try some amps", over the past couple of months I have probably 40 hours at local music stores trying out amps. I'm just trying to make sure I'm loud enough at the jams!!!

Thanks again fellas!

20. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Your question is like asking "How many horsepower?"

Since there are no other conditions specified in detail, there's no simple answer.

For the horsepower questions, for example, it depends on vehicle type, load, hills, speed, acceleration, power train efficiency, etc. You can't just give a simple number.

Seriously, you might as well ask "How much salt?" without telling us what you're cooking and how much...