how much will it cost?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by g00eY, Feb 8, 2006.

1. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    well, i'm trying to decide what i want to do for my semester project for my english class, and this is one of my choices (luthiery). i was just wondering what it will cost me to build a bass from some pieces of wood. i don't really need anything uber fancy, but i'll probably need a router and definately some wood. i have a bunch of various saws at my house, a drill, and a bunch of sandpaper.

if it costs too much i won't be able to do it. but yea, it's worth a shot.

any help is appreciated :) !
  2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Building a bass for English class? I don't get it, but then, I'm a knucklehead.
    I'd suggest using one of these for your first bass:
    You can get one with a 'paddle' headstock so you can make up your own design. Plus you can add whatever wood you want to the sides and design your own body shape. $219 isn't too bad considering the neck is pretty much done for you (making a neck and fretting it right aint a piece of cake).
    If you want to build the whole thing from scratch, then prepare yourself!
    I used one of those Carvin blanks for my first and it got my passion for building going while providing me with an instrument that was functional and playable, in a relatively short amount of time.
  3. ZanVooden

Nov 27, 2005
    Peoria, IL
    Yeah, not exactly sure how a bass guitar and english class get along.

Im currently in the process of building a bass from scratch. Its not terribly cheap though. i've probably spent about $75 for the main body and neck. and another $60 for the fretboard. I used maple mahogany and walnut for the body and neck and the fretboard is ebony. I also spent about $450 in parts (tuners, pickups, preamp, bridge, ect.)

I cant imagine you would really want to spend that much for and english class, but i could be wrong. You could always just make drawing and get samples of wood and simply discuss the contruction.
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I'm working on my first, and have been for the past year. The money is the only thing that's holding me back, as I'm a 16 year old earning near minimum wage. So far I'm probably $500 in, and the price rises a lot more if you throw in tools. I still have another $400 to spend on electronics, $80 on tuners, and I still need a few pricey tools. So, it's certainly not cheap.
  5. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    ouch! the electronics and hardware will kill my budget.

well, we are discussing personal identity in english class, which is the theme for the school year. we're at the point where we start the semester project, meaning we start now till the end of the year. we are supposed to do something that we've always wanted to do, and my first choice was learning how to slap. my teacher is kinda noob so she said no to that, and that same night this idea popped in my head. so yea...

so far it doesn't seem like i'm gonna be able to do it. my parents still bug me about blowing my budget by >$100 for Christmas. lol...
  6. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    you know... i just had an idea...

i could find the cheapest used bass and buy it. then buy some wood for the body (i wanna make at least some of it scratchbuilt). i then proceed to butcher the used bass for the hardware and electronics, and possibly the neck. any thoughts? i'm thinking this will get me a playable bass. not great, but at least it has my own feel to it. plus i could probably get it done for like under $250. i got an awesome offer for wood from a fellow TBer, so now i'm quite happy that i came up with this idea.
  7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I did this to a SX, here is a pic.

8. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Not a bad idea, however...just keep in mind that cheap basses are cheap for a reason: they're made from cheap stuff! The electronics won't be the greatest, and your bridge and tuners won't be top notch...but it will get you a decent playable bass. I say go for it and good luck!!!

PS. Don't forget to post progress pics when you get started!
  9. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    bill h - is that an sx that you sanded or did you make a new body for it? either way, it's kinda what i want to do. i like it!

Thumbs - yea i know they're cheap for those reasons. money keeps me from getting the hipshot bridge i want, or the barts i want, and whatnot. all i want is a playable bass that i can use for my project. mainly i want a good neck. as long as the other parts are solid and functionable, i'm happy.

and i'll make sure to post pics IF i do this little project.

any more input?