Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how much would a 68 pbass go for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slick519, Feb 15, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    how much would you say a 1968 american std. p-bass would go for? this bass is in perfect playing condition, and there is no sign of wear anywhere on the body. it is just as it was new.

if this is in the wrong forum, please forgive me.

P.S. im not selling it, jstu wanted a quote!

Thanks,
    =w= Slicks =w=

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, there could be another side to the story: I don't think I'd pay anything for a '68 P-bass if it were in perfect condition. Why is a bass that old in such good shape?

Fender was well known for their finishes cracking with use. Why didn't the finish crack? Was it stored in an air tight container somewhere? ie: Was it THAT bad of stock that it wasn't worth playing out?

I'd like to think that a good bass from that era would certainly have been used enough to show SOME wear;)

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Agree with RAM. Your description sounds like something other than a real '68. A REAL '68 in good shape that's all original (assuming sunburst) w/original hard case and covers is worth from about $1750 to $2250 in Southern California currently. A very savvy, hard-nosed buyer friend of mine gave $1650 for a '66 two years ago and that was a deal then.

4. Indulge me on this, I thought the quality of Fender Instruments went down when CBS bought it after 1965? So why would anyone want to spend close to $2000 for a bass that was post CBS? Wasn't Leo Fender's "hands off" those bass after CBS bought it and proceeded to mass producing those basses? So what's the big deal of buying a post CBS Fender?

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've wondered the same thing for a while, now...though I'll correct you, if I may.

It's true that CBS bought Fender from Leo in 1965, but Leo stayed on as a consultant through 1966, during which Fender made instruments with the same specs and materials that were previously made and/or purchased during Leo's tenure.

Even so, there are many people who feel that the overall quality of Fender instruments was still high, well into the 1970's. I, for one, haven't found one I liked. Others around here have some 1970's Fenders they swear are great.

Another part of it, I believe, is the image of players like Marcus Miller, who is frequently pictured with his early '70's Jazz bass...never mind the fact that it's been completely overhauled by Roger Sadowsky, complete with a new bridge, a properly setup neck, and a Bartolini preamp. Afterall, it still has the Fender logo on the headstock.

6. Thanks RAM, if you ask Chad and Evan at Bass Northwest, they've got some interesting opinion about early Fenders, hehehehe, I guess that's why I think there'e nothing really special about post CBS Fenders, maybe the 2002 models are O.K.

7. From what I've heard the quality of most seventies Fenders leaves a lot to be desired, still a mid 70's J will cost you around $1500-1700 here in Sweden. P basses are a bit cheaper but cost somewhere between $1000-1500. Even early 80's basses are getting expensive. Odd, I know, but people probably buy them 1) 'cause they're old, 2) 'cause it says Fender on the headstock, 3) 'cause they have a nice broken in fell, or 4) just because they look cool. I bought my '84 JV Squier because I wanted a P-bass... ;)

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I like Fenders of all years! Infact my main basses are a 78 Jazz and a 83 Pbass, but hey! like everyone else it's just my opinion.
    I remember when I was a kid around 16 in 1979 and I bought my first real bass, bran new in the box 1979 Fender Jazz and it was and stiull is the sweetest bass I ever had.....I think I paid like 600 for it bran new..

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's no doubt that a lot of people like post-CBS era Fenders, but IMO, there's absolutely NOTHING that separates them from the pack, in terms of this vintage-pricing phenomenon.

I mean, you could almost buy a 1974 Fender Jazz bass for the same price as an Alembic Series II from the same year. That just doesn't make sense to me:confused:

It also boggles my mind that my old Peavey T-40, which I always thought was a load of crap, now sells for more than I bought it for, when it was brand new! Yet there are other basses out there that ARE new, that are priced roughly in the same category, that are far superior to that old Peavey:confused:

10. I might add that Peavey T 40:s seem to be quite rare here in Sweden, and, hence, close to seventies Fenders in price. Probably has more to do with the fact that they were built in the US of A, than anything else.

11. Telling someone that a bass is a Fender and it's old is like telling someone your girlfriend is 5' 8" and has long blonde hair. It's only a generalization, but, it gets a lot of people interested. I had a '75 P-bass that I bought brand new and it was horrible. I think I just got a lemon. Most other 70s Fenders I've played were good to excellent. The older it is usually means it will command more $. Hey, to each his own. The only thing I can't see is spending a lot of bread on an old anything if it's it terrible shape.

Mike J.