1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how much would i pay for a rickenbacker in maple-glo bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lojo, Apr 28, 2009.

1. lojo

lojo

Mar 8, 2009
    uk
    Hi

Ive reached 40 and decided to buy my boyhood dream bass

Just wondering how much the above said bass would cost me in the USA, Really looking for a good condition older one, but dont mind new as long as its a nice instrument (right handed, maple glo, chrome gear)

Been looking but nothing in the UK really has come up, although i am tracking one on ebay right now, but its fairly new and I am not ready to give up the old model dream just yet

I am off with my thinking here, always wanted one

thanks for any help

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are many of them on Ebay all the time, and they go for anywhere from $1200 to $2200 depending on the model, year, and condition.

3. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I'd go into it expecting the 2,000 dollar level, plus or minus some. It will all depend on the condition etc....

That being said, I want a new Ricky when I get mine. It has been almost 30 years for me since I first saw and wanted a Rickenbacker. When I realize that dream I don't want someone elses cast off, I want my bass.

:bassist:

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Check completed listings on Ebay to get an idea of what anything is worth in today's market.

5. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Darnit...I knew I should have kept mine. Bought for $900, sold for $1100. In great shape.

6. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I bought a new 4003 in FireGlo back in Feb. and ir ran me $2,000.

7. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    That is rough.

8. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    If you have an account on eBay, you can set up a "saved search". It will give you email updates when new listings match one of your searches.

9. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    So when you say "old model" are you talking about a 4001? Unless you really prefer that style it would probably be just as well to get a new/almost new 4003. Unless it is really beat up the prices are pretty close and you won't have to deal with the 4001 issues, er, I mean "character". ;)

10. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Well, it was three years ago or something...the going rate was right around there. Too bad they seemed to jump up in price recently.

11. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    It reaches a point that the dream eclipses mundane things like cost. That said can you not order one in thru a local shop? It'd have to be a 4003 though. I'd hate to see a bad online sale smash down what has been a lifelong ambition. Remember, it's a Ric, they are always 'worth it'

12. Anything I own is MY bass...(and that would be 11 of 'em)

...the previous caretaker was just watching it until I came along...:cool:

BTW, "my" Rickenbacker (82 vintage) has been "my" bass since 1988...I'd say it pretty much qualifies as mine...

13. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I don't know what these go for now, but thought you migght enjoy a pic of my '73 4001. I bought it about 15 years ago . . . for about $500.

14. lojo

lojo

Mar 8, 2009
    uk
    ^ thats the one

thanks for the replies, and the nudge to a 4003, id buy new but 6-12 months wait???

any thing to look out for in differing 4003 versions?

thanks again cant wait to post a pic of my ric, wont rush into a buy though

cheers

15. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
  16. lojo

lojo

Mar 8, 2009
    uk
    that one ^ has the darker color on the head, the one i am viewing here is pure maple with the white rick label

is this just a different cosmetic option or are there differing 4003 models in terms of spec?

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There have been a few different specs for 4003's, not all have the dark wood headstock wings. And as far as the wait when buying new, there's no need--4003's have been on the market for many years, and there are loads of them for sale used all over the place. You just have to keep an eye open for the one that has the looks you like.

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Plenty of mapleglo 4003's available. Musicians Friend, for one. No need to wait, just whip out the credit card, and you'll have it in a week. The walnut wings on the headstock were just recently re-introduced, as well as full width inlays, and of course, the push/pull vintage tone circuit. Good luck.

19. lojo

lojo

Mar 8, 2009
    uk
    i contacted musicians friend in canada, they sell new for $1950 which is around £1100, some is bidding more than £1279 (us$1875 for a 4001)?

They wont ship to UK, but i may be able to get a friend to sort that

20. lojo

lojo

Mar 8, 2009
    uk
    May plan a trip over in the near future, weekend break and pick up a new one after trying it first

Is this musicians friend the place to head for or are these in stock in any stores in major airport cities?