1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much would it cost to build a Deep Impact clone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PaulYeah, May 4, 2006.

1. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Just wondering if it's possible to build a clone of the Deep Impact, and what it would cost. Seems like there'd be a really strong market for that.

2. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Is the Deep Impact all analog? I could have sworn it sported a proprietary IC or two.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Cloning a digital device is not easy, because they often contain chips programmed with proprietary software. Certain companies known for producing cheap ripoffs of other companies' products have the resources to analyze and reproduce those programs, but it is out of reach for most pedal-cloning smalltimers.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yep we're all waiting for Behringer to jump on the band wagon :D

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The Deep Impact magic occurs in its main DSP/IC. One of those chips is about £90, then add the propreitary coding, and the rest of the processing necessary to do what the DI does.

The magic of the DI is in the tracking, not the sounds. IMO the sounds of the Digitech XBSW are just as good - but the tracking is simply awful.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I think awful is a bit harsh there :crying: I would have said the synths in the bsw are good its just that the DI is amazing, see because if you call the digitech awful what do you call the boss one by comparision there isn't another word that far worst :D

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd call the Boss unuseable ;)!!!!!

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Again not true it has many uses, paper weight, anti mugging device, battery protector etc.

:rollno:

:D

9. its possible, but in the end, adding up the price of the components and then add the cost of your time and effort, it'd be cheaper to just buy a used Deep Impact.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If Akai wasn't able to continue justifying production, why would anyone else ?

Really a silly thought - If you want great synth bass, how about learning just a bit of keyboard and do it with a real synth ?

11. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
    Given the recent cost spike for Deep Impacts on the Bay this sounds like the type of project I could get behind.

I'm looking for a schematic right now ^^

12. I wouldn't say impossible, but really, really difficult, time consuming, expensive and highly likely to result in an inferior product or suicide or perhaps even both. Akai probably had a team of a minimum of five people or so working on this for perhaps up to a year - a complete guess but I'd say not an unreasonable one.

I have opened up mine out of curiosity (I am after all and electronic engineer!) and the chips are commercially available (non that I saw were proprietry.) However, take for instance the DSP chip AK7712A-VT. Google it and you'll find you can buy small quantities for a bargain price of USD$60.19 each.

But, the code is the real killer. Price yourself out at your current hourly rate and work out how many hours you'd need to work to make enough money to just buy a Deep Impact - then ask yourself if you think you could clone one in the same amount of time. :eyebrow:

13. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
    Is it just me or is anyone else hot and bothered by all this talk of digital circuitry? :oops:

14. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    someone can buy mine and open it up to figure it out:ninja:

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nobody will do it. The only reason Deep Impacts are selling like hotcakes is because they DO NOT EXIST new anymore. As soon as they do, they will be worth much less, and frankly, it's no profitable for Akai to produce them. Even less profitable for someone else to reverse engineer AND produce it.

Not gonna happen. If you want a Deep Impact, but one.