Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much would it cost to get a ding/gouge repaired?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Aaron, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Someone borrowed my bass (mim jazz) and brought it back with a rather deep gouge mark in it going to the wood. He agreed to pay for a repair, but i don't know if i can trust what he says (i can't trust him with a bass). The ding came from a cymbal falling on it (or at lease that is what he said.) How much would a professional luthier charge to get it fixed?

2. Question is.... how did a cymbal fall on it?? Secondly are you sure the cymbal fell on it and not the other way round? as in "i was jumping around on stage and crashed into my drummers cymbal"

:rolleyes:

Merls

3. The only sad thing in this story is that you weren't personally responsible for the ding. Fender basses wear dings and scratches etc., better than any brand you've just added the first bit of character to your fender (leave it alone) there are enough pretty basses in the world .

4. You've got a lot of details here that could swing the cost higher or lower. There probably isn't a way to do the repair to where it's completely invisible since it would require spot painting and you won't ever get a perfect match. If the dent is small enough, you can fill it with automotive glazing putty. Let it dry, then wet sand smooth. If you can find a nail polish that is close the color of the bass, you can cover the area, sand smooth, then spot spray some clear acrylic on top. If the dent is larger it will make it even tougher to cover and you might best go with a complete refinish.

My advice would be to let it ride. It's a Mexi jazz with a value that won't change much either way. It's just one of those things that happens in the life of an instrument. It should teach you a lesson about lending your instruments out to buddies.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Well, i don't really care about the value of the instrument (for me, it is a keeper.) I'm not sure if there are going to be too many dings, if any, other than this one in the future. I've had it for about a year, and i played it constantly and there are no other blemishes. I'm a little bit anal retentive about keeping my basses in the best condition they can be.