1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much would it cost... ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris3142, Nov 5, 2000.

1. How much do u suppose it would cost to put a jazz pickup on a P-bass? i was thinking about buying a fender hot rodded american bass but really.. the only thing different about that bass is that it's got a J pickup on it.. and it's made in america, but eh, big deal. SO how much $$ will i need to put a J pickup on my P-bass? thanks.

Chris

2. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    If I'm not mistaken, the P-Bass pickup style is COMPLETELY different from the J-style. Especially on the new models with the split pickups. You'd have to do some massive body modifications to fit in a J pickup. Sorry, mate. =/

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey, furtim, I think he meant ADD a J-pickup, like down by the bridge. I don't know how much it would cost, but a local repairman should be able to do it fairly easily. It obviously will require a rout and a hole in the pg for another pot. You can also get matched sets of pups so that they will sound good together. If I wanted this setup, I would probably do it myself. You can get a router template from Stew-mac and wiring diagrams are available free here and there. If you're not real handy, however, call a pro. This has been a popular mod for decades.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'd go with Max on this one...and do it myself...if possible.
    Otherwise....it IS a common modification and you should be able to find a qualified person to do it for a reasonable amount.

5. ahh yes.. i did mean add. sorry for the confusion. ok so question #1 If i took it to a repair type place they'd be able to do everything for me? like if i brought them my bass and the pickup?
    question #2 does guitar center do things like this? question #3 how much will it cost, or some type of ball-park figure will help.
    question #4 will this really help my overall tone, or will i not even notice a difference?
    question#5 will i need some type of toggle switch or switcher?
    question #6 will this require another knob?
    question #7 if i do need a new knob is it possible for me to move the input to the side and put the extra knob in its place?
    i think thats all for now.. if you can just answer atleast some or even one of my questions anything will help! thanks a ton

Chris

6. Budonze

Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    ok, here we go:

Question 1: If its a repair place, then yes they probably would do it all for you.
    Question 2: sorry cant help you on that ( no guitar centers in Canada or at least where i live)
    Question 3: umm i dunno about total, but routing is a quite a bit, if you subtract the price of the pickup out of the whole deal, i would expect probably around 150-250( but thats Canadian, dunno what it would be over there)
    Question 4: umm it shoudl help the overall tone, i have a ****ty bass with a P J combo mix, i usually helps to add more lows to your sound, if you mix them, it does help a bit, but when you play them alone you can really tell the difference. ( or at least i can, but i dont have amazing pickups in mine)
    Question 5: depends on the way you want the setup, you could make it so you can toggle, but the best way, i would say, is just a volume pot for each pickup, you can turn one off and use the other one on, and vice versa, or use both at the same time! endless possibilties!
    Question 6: See Above
    Question 7: umm not really sure about that one, depends on the type of input, where its located... you may want to consult a qualified repair person for that one.

Phew i am out!
    Bud

7. question 2:
    if guitar center does do it i would not have them do it
    don't get me wrong i have two of them near me and i love the place but when i need repairs i bring it to a place that has more time to do repairs. you know, one of those places with the old guy that used to hang with leo fender

8. adding the j pickup onto the p bass would kind of make it a hot rodded p-bass right?? cuz i think theres one of those down at gc by my house. maybe i'll pick one up :)

chris