Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much would it cost... ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris3142, Nov 5, 2000.

1. How much do u suppose it would cost to put a jazz pickup on a P-bass? i was thinking about buying a fender hot rodded american bass but really.. the only thing different about that bass is that it's got a J pickup on it.. and it's made in america, but eh, big deal. SO how much $$ will i need to put a J pickup on my P-bass? thanks.

Chris

2. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    If I'm not mistaken, the P-Bass pickup style is COMPLETELY different from the J-style. Especially on the new models with the split pickups. You'd have to do some massive body modifications to fit in a J pickup. Sorry, mate. =/

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey, furtim, I think he meant ADD a J-pickup, like down by the bridge. I don't know how much it would cost, but a local repairman should be able to do it fairly easily. It obviously will require a rout and a hole in the pg for another pot. You can also get matched sets of pups so that they will sound good together. If I wanted this setup, I would probably do it myself. You can get a router template from Stew-mac and wiring diagrams are available free here and there. If you're not real handy, however, call a pro. This has been a popular mod for decades.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'd go with Max on this one...and do it myself...if possible.
    Otherwise....it IS a common modification and you should be able to find a qualified person to do it for a reasonable amount.

5. ahh yes.. i did mean add. sorry for the confusion. ok so question #1 If i took it to a repair type place they'd be able to do everything for me? like if i brought them my bass and the pickup?
    question #2 does guitar center do things like this? question #3 how much will it cost, or some type of ball-park figure will help.
    question #4 will this really help my overall tone, or will i not even notice a difference?
    question#5 will i need some type of toggle switch or switcher?
    question #6 will this require another knob?
    question #7 if i do need a new knob is it possible for me to move the input to the side and put the extra knob in its place?
    i think thats all for now.. if you can just answer atleast some or even one of my questions anything will help! thanks a ton

Chris

6. Budonze

Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    ok, here we go:

Question 1: If its a repair place, then yes they probably would do it all for you.
    Question 2: sorry cant help you on that ( no guitar centers in Canada or at least where i live)
    Question 3: umm i dunno about total, but routing is a quite a bit, if you subtract the price of the pickup out of the whole deal, i would expect probably around 150-250( but thats Canadian, dunno what it would be over there)
    Question 4: umm it shoudl help the overall tone, i have a ****ty bass with a P J combo mix, i usually helps to add more lows to your sound, if you mix them, it does help a bit, but when you play them alone you can really tell the difference. ( or at least i can, but i dont have amazing pickups in mine)
    Question 5: depends on the way you want the setup, you could make it so you can toggle, but the best way, i would say, is just a volume pot for each pickup, you can turn one off and use the other one on, and vice versa, or use both at the same time! endless possibilties!
    Question 6: See Above
    Question 7: umm not really sure about that one, depends on the type of input, where its located... you may want to consult a qualified repair person for that one.

Phew i am out!
    Bud

7. question 2:
    if guitar center does do it i would not have them do it
    don't get me wrong i have two of them near me and i love the place but when i need repairs i bring it to a place that has more time to do repairs. you know, one of those places with the old guy that used to hang with leo fender

8. adding the j pickup onto the p bass would kind of make it a hot rodded p-bass right?? cuz i think theres one of those down at gc by my house. maybe i'll pick one up :)

chris