Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much would this go for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My dad is selling his early 1960's fender Deluxe Reverb. It's in great condition, and it has a replacement speaker, the old one rotted about 30 years ago or something. Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How much do you think I can get for it?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    listen very carefully

DO NOT SELL IT

are you crazy??????????????????

PS, don't e-bay it. in fact dont do anything until you do some serious research, and after that, don't sell it.

my guitar player tells me that with the original oxford speaker they go for about 2 grand. Without it will be less.

larry rogers in naples fla refurbishes them.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ah. The speaker isn't original. I'm about to do some research, but I don't know where to start.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Update, the serial number is A 03138 and was supposedly made in 1964. The original speaker is gone, but I'm bidding on a 1965 Oxford speaker, which might increase the value. Any other info would be great. It is a "blackface"

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Update: The serial number is actually AB763, so it was made in July of 1963. Even better :)

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    JESUS! I just plugged my bass into the VIbrato, turned it up a little, fiddled with the controls, this thing is amazing! I don't want him to sell it anymore :bawl:

7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    My drummer's grandad sold a 50's Tele and early Fender amp for what he paid for them brand new. Apparently he was happy to get his investment back.

Doh!

8. Haha that made me smile. I bet it brightened someones day.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Dang it...I keep hoping to bump into someone like that!!!! :D

Whafrodamus...I think the circuit number is AB763. IIRC, the serial number is stamped in back side of the chassis at one end or the other.

Do everything possible to keep that amp...they're worth lots and lots of money and should never depreciate...kind of silly really, but who am I to argue with the crazy vintage guitar and amp market??? I just wish I had all the amps that I let go cheap years ago (blackface twin reverb, tweed princeton, silverface princeton reverb, silverface dual showman, silverface bassman. marshall major :crying: and the cheap ones that I didn't buy... )

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I think he's going to keep it now :p

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If you want to get down to the nitty gritty, these sites can help:

http://www.fenderforum.com/

http://www.thefenderforum.com/

If you happen to win the '65 Oxford speaker, and it happens to have the original cone (if not, it's not worth much), I'd recommend putting it away, not into the amp. Get a Weber or something "modern but vintage-vibey", which will generally sound better (IMHO), and will preserve the value of the Oxford.

As far as value, things like date codes on all the transformers and pots make a difference to a lot of collectors. Some collectors are very paranoid about which techs they allow to even touch their amps. So, if resale is on your mind, proceed very carefully. I've worked on quite a few hacked Deluxes, and it's a sad thing, in terms of effect on market value.

Best of luck, and feel free to PM me if I can answer any specific technical questions for you.

12. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That's the kind of amp that needs to be continually passed down from generation to generation....

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i bet the tubes in that thing are worth a few hundred

14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I'd recommend that you don't sell that amp unless you need to. I've got a waiting list for Deluxe Reverbs, and those people will pay $2200.00-$2500.00 with a changed speaker! A stock speaker is really only good for collectors at this point. It's rare to find an original speaker that still sounds great. Usually they've had the crap played out of them, and they're a little floppy. A Jensen C-12-N sounds great in a Deluxe, as does a Celestion V-30 for a little more snarl.
    Corey