Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much would this have cost?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Unfortunately I don't have pictures, and the movie is far to big to upload to TB (180 MB, 20 mins of me running around her Majesty's theatre with a camera), nor do I have specific names of the stuff we used... :D ...

But I was wondering how much a combo like this would have cost.

It was a Gallien-Krueger head and a Hartke speaker - the speaker had Transporter written on it on the bottom right hand side... I can't remember if the head had anything written on it.

I liked the sound of it, even though I couldn't hear much competing with all the guitar speakers there.

If you can't help, then don't worry about it. I was just wondering what a rig like that would cost. I'm sorry I can't be any more specific.:(

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It depends which gk head it was. They range from about £150 ($300USD) all the way to about £1000 ($2100USD).

The transporter cabs, are in my experience, probably the worst cabs ever made - sorry guys - i guess its all personal opinion.

3. Don MC

Don MC

Oct 24, 2004
    Finland
    It is.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The GK (depending on model) will run you anywhere from $489 (400RB-IV) to $750 (1001RB-II) at most places... If you buy from Riksmusic.com you can shave off as much as another $150 (at least on the 1001RB-II). BTW, GK's top line head is a 2001RB, but I seriously doubt someone had that head matched up to a Transporter cab :p . Chances are the head was one of the older "Mark I" series heads.

It's also possible that the Head you saw was GK's "Backline" series (cheaper units, manufactured overseas). The Backline 250BL Head sells for about $300 at most places.

The Hartke Transporter Cabinets sell for $200 (2x10 version) and $250 (1x15 version) at SamAsh.com which is probably the lowest prices you'll see on new Hartke equipment.

P.S. I should note that the above prices are all U.S. $. I have no idea what they'd go for in Australia.

- Frank.

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep, that's an opinion, alright. Seen one like it a couple of weeks ago...

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Are you trying to make a point?

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    If it was a GK/Hartke combo, it more than likely would of been a GK 800RB, which can be had for about $300-400 and Hartke 410TP or XL, which can be had for $200-250. The 800RB/410XL is a very classic combo, and could be easily spotted which many bands in the early 90s.

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    No. Was it or was it not an opinion?

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yes, it was an opinion. However, this seems a rather loaded sentence. What exactly are you refering to?

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I read it as him acting like a backwater/hick/trailer person myself :p y'know, the ones with the accents etc....ah nevermind.

Ray

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Say,ole son; I'm a peaceable man! I never carry a loaded sentence! (They're illegal!)

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hehe, very good. Sorry for inferring that you did. Peace.

13. As it was for a "showcase of SA's young musical talent" (in other words, a BotB without a battle), I figured they wouldn't spend gazillions on equipment. Mind you, they had some phat Marshall stuff for the guitars.

As I don't have a lot of money, I was looking for stuff I could afford - I still have an untrained ear, though. I take it this combination wouldn't be a good investment?

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Oh yes. Its definetely a good investment. You can easily for this combo for $500 total. There is a reason why its such a popular set up.