1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how much would you charge for this?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sir juice, Jun 6, 2007.

1. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    i've posted asking for help on my own bass build (which i'm working on incredibly slowly)

but i realised when the time comes to actually get a high end bass, as i'm taking playing very seriously and i hope to be a pro one day, that a custom would be the best choice

being the obsessive that i am, i've already thought of the kind of thing i'd want,

a 34' scale fretless 5 string, swamp ash body, bolt-on maple neck, ebony fingerboard

the main thing that would make this special, is that i'd want the neck to be really as many frets as possible, the first thought that came to mind would be a 3 octave neck, but i'm not sure how possible this is

as far as pickups go, i'd want a passive triple coil right next to the bridge + a piezo system in the bridge

so as a question to the professional luthiers on the forum, if you got this request, approximately how much would you charge for it?

2. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I would suggest searching for builder you like and checking their websites. There a few here that post often.

3. Sounds like a hyperbass to me. They show up on ebay from time to time or you can buy one from Zon directly.

lowsound

4. bppubjr

bppubjr

Aug 13, 2006
    I went and threw together a quick prototype in my CAD, based on a basic PBass. I came here to post up the pic, just as a possible idea, and then I saw the reference to the Zon Hyperbass. Saw the picture of it and went, "Bastards! He stole my idea!" Of course, it would have been before I did mine, but still... ;)

Anyway here's my quick concept for ya! :bassist:

[​IMG]

5. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    even though it has a few features i go for, the hyperbass really isn't my thing.

it's body shape and other elements don't really do it for me. the cutaway just looks stupid in my opinion (i'm happy reaching over the body for the 3rd octave)

i've been looking at various luthiers websites for a refernece and haven't found much helpful.

and i don't want to email a luthier because that seems like a geniune commission and i'm not ready to buy for a long time

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    well, i can think of a few builders who can build that and the prices would vary extremely widely.

Go check out Jerzy Drozd. His design for the triple octave looks really good, they only look a little unbalanced when seated.

7. you can get that made from really any luthier, but it will cost quite a bit, especially for what you're asking for.

8. Manual_Combat

Manual_Combat

Jan 20, 2005
    no clue.
    but wish bass makes basses similar to that starting at a base price of like 300 or 450 i forgot.

you can also look at it from this perspective. base price + how many hours you worked on it and how much you think you deserve per hour = cost.

good luck man-

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    This looks so much like a Wishnevsky Wishbass Peanut model, aside from the headstock.
    You can buy them unfinished from Steve Wishnevsky for $300-500, depending on woods and options.

10. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    here's a 34" scale 36 fret bass by Bee Basses (http://www.beebasses.com)

[​IMG]

I have no association with Bee, but I have seen quite a few of his instruments

all the best,

R

11. bppubjr

bppubjr

Aug 13, 2006
    "This looks so much like a Wishnevsky Wishbass Peanut model,..."

Bastards! He stole my idea! :smug:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021