Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much would you expect to pay for this Peavey rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Aug 29, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well,
    the wheels in my mind are beginning to turn once again. This happens about once every two weeks. Last night I lugged my Ampeg 810 home from my drummer's house (it's been there since our last gig) and it seems like most of the time when I look at it, I just feel like it's being wasted b/c I don't have a head for it. So here's my question, how much would you expect to pay for a Peavey Nitrobass and 210 TXF (the older model cabs)? The reason I ask about the 210 is because I need a rig for smaller gigs and rehearsal (that 810 is a pain to load), plus I figure it would a good negotiating tool, since I'm buying them together. So how much should I expect to pay for the 2 together? I'm hoping in about a month or so I should be able to pay for most of it and put the rest on layaway and pay it off gradually. Thanks for any replies or ideas on how I could more quickly afford this needed upgrade.

Dirk

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd just get a Peavey Firebass head, and run the 8x10 with that... It'll give you 475 watts... The Nitro bass would only give you 300 watts through it... And less with the 2x10... When you have an 8x10, It's pointless IMO to get a 2x10... I understand the annoyance of an 8x10 and how heavy it is... But it's really just a waste of money... The Peavey Firebass is a better head than the Nitrobass... If I remember correctly, it doesn't even have DDT speaker protection.

The price difference is like $50 between the two heads. I think I paid something like $450 for my Firebass II 700. :)

3. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Although they are good sounding boxes, I didn't find the 210 was loud enough for practice; I used a pair. I also blew a couple of speakers wishing it was louder.

That being said, they sell used for $200 or so.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You kiddin' me? I use a pair of those exact speaker cabs with a 500 watt head (Peavey T-Max) and it's PAINFULLY loud! I've used that rig in large auditorums without any trouble (and I've got witnesses here on TB too....ask DirtyRoadCola/Neal).

Also, never gotten close to blowin' a driver. What the heck were you running them with??? You do know if you are UNDERPOWERED and try to crank the speaker you're just about as likely to blow a speaker as you are by overpowering it. Oh, and I've gigged with just one of the 210txf's, in a medium volume situation that was plenty.

Dirk, I'll agree with those that said the Nitrobass head is a poor choice, it's underpowered, and you'd be most likely to have trouble because of that. Sadly, they stopped making the T-Max head, but they do make a preamp version of it, paired with a DPC1400i it would make a formidable amp setup, but not an inexpensive one. Save up for the Firebass or look for a used T-Max instead. But your choice of cab is good, in my experience.

5. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, I went to the music store today and talked to my friend that works there. The retail on the new Peavey 210s is 450, I'm guess the older ones would be cheaper since obviously it's been sitting in there for a while.. I'll probably ballpark that he would sell it to me for around 300, plus 450-475 for the Firebass, I'm looking at 750-775, less tax. I didn't actually find out how much he would sell it to me for since I have practically no money. He was trying to sell me the Peavey Classic 350 head for 550.. But I don't really want a tube head because I like to slap some and don't dig that gritty tube sound all the time. That's why I want a Solid State head w/ the Sansamp in front of it. Thanks for the replies and hopefully my tale of woe will be over soon enough.

Dirk

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I'd just go with the Peavey Firebass II 700, like I said before. You have an 8x10, so anything you could use the 2x10 for, the 8x10 would just do it better...

If money's tight, get the Firebass now, and get the 210TVX later.

P.S. Look for a 210TXF, I think they're much better cabs... Tolex rips and gets prints on it if you set a soda on it for a second... Carpet doesn't do either of those... Only problem with the Carpet ones, is that they get a lot of hair on them , if you have pets.

:)

7. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Ampeg SVT-400T (200w/side into 4 ohms)
    Per on "8" / Pwr on "10" with flat EQ
    Steinberger bolt-on, set on "7" with flat EQ
    Ground-Roundwounds and a .8mm pick
    Classic Rock

I haven't eaten any 15's, just 10's,

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Methinks I see the problem!

You were probably clipping your power section, and also likely to be overdriving your pre to boot. You send enough of a distorted signal to a speaker and you'll burn it out every time. Maybe 15"s are less susceptible to damage that way?

I'm using a 500 watt into 2 ohm load head (run full-range), never put my master volume beyond 3, and manage to offend a guitarist with two 212 cabs and a Mesa Simul-Class 290 stereo power amp (translation: HE'S LOUD!). My speakers have never even come close to giving up the ghost.

Maybe bgavin or Joris will have some insight?

9. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Go for the Firebass, man, IMO it's awesome. I got the head and 4x10 (TVX)for 900 bucks (480 for the head?)....That's only because my friend works at Sam Ash...I really like the tone and its got the DDT speaker protection....

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Wasn't the old Peavey Max like, 800 watts? Not the T-Max mind you, the Max.

11. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    i agree, go for the firebass 700
    run it through a 4x10 and bingo:D

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. It had the same preamp as the Combo 300(or Combo 115 nowadays) and the the power amp was the old CS800.

800 watts at 2 ohms. Didn't go over very big, unfortunately.

When it was released, it was the most powerful bass head ever.

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    That actually sounds like a pretty damned nice head.

The Combo 300, Combo 115, and 210TX all had the same preamp, from what I gather...

My 210TX had a REALLY sweet preamp in it.

I suggest one of those also, then, if he can find one.

I'm surprised, that's a head I never knew existed.