How much would you hate me if I......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    If I played upright bass with a pick? Lol the I idea came to me when I was being a complete morong playing my bass like an upright and I had a pick in my hand. So yeah. Im just curious to see how many people would want me injured, or dead, or whatever. :)
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Since you rule on bass, i'm sure you could pull it off. ;)

But in all seriousness, wouldn't it be hard to do? Picking on an angle like that would be weird.
  3. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yeah it was just a dumb thought, It was really hard to play with my bass itself, let alone having to support the weight of a full scale upright.

I might do that though, walk into the store and ask to try out and upright, and make this big fuss becuase I dont have a pick, and than finnally find one, and than just play something really really dumb. And than walk out of the store. Like today, I left 2 fake worms on the tray holder/garbage can thingy at burger king, and all the staff was gathered at one table yelling at each other over who would clean it. :smug:

I need more ideas.
  4. Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    You wouldn't get much volume out of it, I suppose it wouldn't harm anything.
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Have you thought about buying, stealing, or otherwise acquiring a life?
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Pat... play nice.

I've done it a few times... sounds cool. for a second. then your wrist starts to hurt.
  7. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    What about thumb-picks, like those slide players use?
  8. post this on the other, *cough*dirty*cough* side of town...

(the DB forum!)

:ninja: :bag:
  9. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    No I haven't actually. But it is a good idea.

I Guess, I need to go fishing more.
  10. I tried it. I'm a confirmed pick player. I'd rather play DB with my fingers.
  11. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    tried it on my EUB...sounds like crap. Trebly poppy attack followed by a thin boingy (is that a word) sounding sustain.
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ben Allison plays his upright with a metrolink card on the song 'third rail'. I think it pretty neat.
  13. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Put strap buttons on the db and wear it horizantal.

Pete Steel did it, and you can too!
  14. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

Or just get two guys to hold it for you.

15. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000

I'm a doubler-so i'll respond with a bit of my DB side mixed in.

I wouldn't be mad at you what so ever for doing that in public, or in the privacy of your own home. Why? Because it'd mean unless if the people actually liked that tone, i'd have a better chance of landing a gig with those people. :)

If you dig the sound though-go for it. For awhile, i messed around with the using the edge of the pick and scrapping my strings-it sounded weird, so it kept me amused for awhile. :hyper:

That's all
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hate you? Not at all.

You are to be pitied.
  17. This thread makes me cry. How can I put this delicately. A pick has no business with a double bass the same way a knife has no business in a couple's bedroom. And that picture of the three guys molesting that bass is simply obscene.
  18. :spit:
  19. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Oh..and just to clarify my earlier post, I wouldn't hate you, but I would wonder about your current mental state.