1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much would you pay for a bass whammy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lowpro, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I know a guy who is offering his for roughly 500 shipping included. I own an XP100, which I am content with, nevertheless I am a hound about my sound.

I'm still weighing whether to buy it, and I was wondering what your thoughts on it were. 500 is too much, but then again, how often can you find it cheaper?

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    it might take a long time to find it at a better price. You could possibly find one for 450 or so shipped, but it's tough to put a timeframe on finding one.

I suppose it all depends on how much you plan to use it and if you really can justify a 500 dollar purchase for a marginal improvement over the XP100.

If you have the cash, the low end response is certainly better than the XP100. However if you're gonna get enough use out of it, it may be worth the investment. Plus if nothing else, you can surely sell it for what you paid for it should it not work out.

3. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I know for a fact I would use it. I find myself using the harmonies of my XP100 more than my clean when it comes to me playing with my guys.

If 500 dollars is what it's running, it's a shame that it must be so high, but I have a feeling once I get it I won't regret it.

I think I can justify buying it because if I do, and I like it, then I can put the XP100 up for sale, which may mitigate a small part of the cost. Sadly it also means I'll have to hold out on my amp plans >.<

Damn summer, always gets me when i'm trying to get gear.

4. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    XP100s are good and all - programmability and whatnot. but the tracking for bass is pretty shocking sometimes. especially on the E and low notes on the A string. sounds like a dying robot, heh.

the only reason i don't really really really want a bass whammy is because i like the 2 oct up feature on the xp100. quite chaotic. i'm still thinking about getting one someday though.. i'm wondering if i can find one used in new zealand (or japan next time i go) somewhere instead of ebay.

i really want digitech to re-release the bass whammy, with all the features of the bass whammy and the same tracking, but with 2 oct up and a better bypass.

5. incognito89x

incognito89x &#9834;&#9835;&#9834; &#9834; &#9834; &#9835;&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    You would think given the price of used Bass Whammys go for they would consider it.

6. I havn't had any experience with the Bass Whammy, but I do own a current whammy. Mine tracks fine and has great bass response. I can rip off the tool sounds etc without any issues. I havn't bothered searching for a bass version for that reason...
    Id be interested to do an A/B and see what the actual difference is seeing as mine works fine?

I think $500 is around the going rate for one though, if you do decide to get it.

7. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    the main reason the bass whammy is awesome is that it hits low D and low B perfectly, with not much digital "robot dying" breakup when you shift. the thing i don't like about the new whammy is the tracking is still slightly ****** on bass (sweet on guitar though) and it doesn't have 5thup/1up harmony.

i think the new whammy uses a different chip from the older whammies as well? not sure. that's why it sounds slightly different.

8. Fair enough. To be honest I have never tried my Thumb (which is the only B string I have) with my whammy. I play it clean as I find it to be pretty shat with effects due to a much lower output than all my other basses...

I have to retune everything to my thumb, where as my other basses are 'plug and play'... The Thumb is 'Plug and Pray'...

I have my Ric and Ray tuned to D however and they are ok. Perhaps if I actually heard a Bass Whammy in the flesh my opinion of my Whammy would change. As a Bass Whammy virgin however, my Whammy is just fine. :)

9. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I think the biggest differences that make the Bass Whammy better overall than the current Whammy IV (though I have yet to play the Bass Whammy itself, but from recordings and opinion:)

• The low end tracks better overall than the current reissue.
    • 5th/Oct harmony setting.
    • Larger treadle sweep range
    • It's believed the chips used in the 2nd edition Whammys are superior to all except the original Whammy chip

If it wasn't a boutique pedal these days it certainly wouldn't be worth 400-500 dollars (I see Whammy II's go for 200 or less on ebay plenty often).

10. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I have 2 basses, one is my ESP in BEAD, and my DADG Spector. I sold my Traben BTW =\

11. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Well I just sent out a money order.

Now I've got to sell my XP100, anyone interested offhand?

12. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I call dibs if you want to sell the Bass Whammy eventually ;)

13. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I would pay $100 or less seeing as how I don't really want one.

But at $100 I would be willing to pick it up and try it out, if i don't like it/use it I could sell it for $400 profit.

14. J-PPP

J-PPP

Jun 14, 2007
    I´ve owned one for years but have almost never used it. I googled it just for fun and found out it´s going for ridiculous prices, so I think I´m going to sell mine soon as well.

There´s one on Ebay right now, btw. (not mine)

15. most overpriced whammy by a long way, just isnt worth it

you dont get the original whammy's tone, and you have that stupid input load knob which screws up your sound unless you get it just right, all it has is those extra harmonies, but unless your in a band called tool i see that as no advantage

isnt it partly plastic too?

$400 is the ABSOLUTE max for this pedal

16. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Whammy came in today =D

Gotta say, it's smaller than I thought, such a modest look for such a great pedal. This thing tracks infinitely better than the XP100 and the Whammy IV, now that I've finally put it through some real work, I can't understand the compromise I made with the Xp100.

And it also just seems to agree with my DD-3 more, not nearly as convoluted.

As for the plastic? It's got rubber on the expression pedal, but this thing's a brickhouse otherwise.

And I use the harmonies. I prefer more alternative/industrial sounds from bass rather than oldschool vintage sounds most here at TB prefer. More of a Tom Morello kinda sound, Know Your Enemy.

BTW Kev, I like some of your pedals in that sig, but i've never seen those first 2 on the top row, mind enlightening me?

17. Is the unit plastic ?? Hmmm... That kinda killed the last of what little bit of bass whammy gas I had. Thanks :)

18. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Side handles are plastic, but unless u have a seizure while using it, you shouldn't be stompin near em. Otherwise it's all metal. But if ur gas is lifted, ur a better man than I.

19. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    it's made of the same stuff the XP100 is, i think. it's digitech, they're not known for their sturdy build quality, but they'll survive long enough. my XP100 is 9 years old and still goes okay.

the extra harmonies are fun. and uhh.. if tool can do it, why can't other people? why should harmonies and pitch shifters on bass be restricted to one band? c'mon man, think about **** before you say it :p

and the price is absurd, i can agree with that. i only hope they re-release it someday.

20. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I wonder, if they do re-release it, does that mean mine becomes worthless? I ask because the original whammy is still expensive due to its rarity. I wonder if the same goes for my whammy.

Well I don't really care anyways unless they re-release it better.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021