Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much would you pay for a used 99 DLX precision bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzin', Jun 4, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Ok, I'm kind of copying the other guy (98 jazz) in the other thread, but I have the same question.
    I found a 1999 Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass, with an ash body, translucent teal green color. There seems to be no scratches/dings/chips on it. It still has the pickguard plastic covering on it for some strange reason. I'm being offered 700$. Comes with a gigbag. Oh yeah, it looks like excellent condition from the pictures, and thats how it was described to me.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That sounds like a very fair price to me, and a very cool bass!

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I paid $750 for one last year ('99, ash) in absolutely mint condition, and it came with a nice tweed hardshell case. It only brought about $650 on eBay a few months later, which sort of surprised me. I thought it would command more.

So I think $700 would be a fair price. If it's in really pristine condition, I think even $800-850 wouldn't be unreasonable considering what they go for new. (But the new ones have an 18v preamp, which would be very worthwhile IMO.)

They're great basses if you dig active, but also want some traditional Fender vibe. I sold mine because I realized I prefer much more traditional Fender vibe. I bought a 2004 MIA P.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think it's a hair high. I've bought two RB5s for $700 or less. I'd probably give $600 for it. Make a counter-offer.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I already have a MIM Fender Jazz, so this seems like the perfect contrasting bass for it. It should have almost everything that my jazz doesn't have, except that it also has frets.

This offer was on ebay, but for some strange reason, no one bid on it. I only found it with 10 minutes left, and I wasn't able to decide fast enough so I lost it. I contacted the guy, and he said he'll give it to me for the starting bid price (700$).

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'll bid one dollar, Bob...