Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much would you pay for this Ampeg rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megiddo, Oct 24, 2003.

1. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I'm on my way to saving up for a Mesa Scout but my brother in law is tempting me with his Ampeg rig. I can get either one for $1000. He's got a near mint Ampeg Pro III head on a near mint Ampeg cab with 4-10" speakers and 1-15" speaker. (The cab is about the same size as the Ampeg 8x10). It hasn't been out of his closet for 4 years. Both amps are way better than the Peavey Basic 112 that I have now. Is the Ampeg rig a good enough deal to jump on now, or do I take a pass and keep saving up for the Mesa? :confused:

I mainly play Praise and Worship music in a medium to large church. That big Ampeg cab would be way big for that, but I'd get an Aguilar GS112 to use in church with the Ampeg Pro III. Please let me know what you would do!

Thanks!

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i'd get the ampeg stack tbh

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Dude, you know what? i have that EXACT same ampeg rig. SVT-3 Pro --> Ampeg SVT1540HE. Yes, that cab is sweeeeet. this rig kills. How old did you say the SVT3Pro is? well, 1000 is OK, but i got mine for wayy cheaper (like around 700 for both) but actually that cab is pretty hard to find, i'd say go for it! thie rig is soo sweet. that 15 really thumps out. one thing i would suggest is to get a compressor, once you add one, man that cab just lets loose. one of the drags is that its either 2 4 ohm sections (2 ohms total) or 8 ohms full range, and the SVT-3Pro can't run a 2 ohm load like alot of amps. its still pretty loud. Another drag is that it goes down to like 45 hz, but once you add a compressor the low notes really thump out. its easy to move too, because of the tilt back towel bar and the wheels on the bottom. Another TBer has this cabinet, his name is "Gabu" and i talked to it about it and he really digs his too. If you renamed the title to something like "How much would you pay for an Ampeg SVT-3Pro + Ampeg SVT1540HE" or just "Ampeg SVT-3pro +1540HE" The scout combo may be a little weak for big gigs, where the ampeg rig would excel. Go for the Ampeg.

Good luck,
    Scott

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    wave $800 in his face and he should take it. If it's in like new condition a grand would be an ok (not great/not bad) deal.

5. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for the replies. I just got back from testing it out and man, that thing is a hog - in a good way. Plugged my MIM Fender Jazz Bass in and had a religious experience! I had no idea that my bass could sound that good! So here's my new delimma - I've only been playing since February and taking lessons since May so I'm a rank beginner so is this rig over my head or is it a good start? And does anybody run the SVT Pro III through a Aguilar GS112 and how does that sound?

Oh, the rig is 3 years old, my brother in law bought it new and since he's a guit** player he's played it about 20 hours total. He still wants a grand for it.

Hey romeoarmada, I changed the title like you said. If I get this I'll get that compressor. What kind do you use?

Sorry about all the questions! Ha! :D

6. Hi, I reckon if it sounds good and you can afford it then buy it if you want to.
    You dont have to have crap gear just cos youre a beginner.

cheers

Stew.

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i have a DBX 163X. great unit, cheap as hell too. about $40 used. i got mine free. Definatley get this rig! it will be with you for life.

Peace,
    Scott

8. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    GET THE AMPEG!
    This amp still has 2 years left on the (transferable) warranty if your brother-in-law still has the original sales slip.

9. I'm with Scott, this amp will last you a lifetime and you know what, it's great to see a newbie with Pro gear!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    yeah after reading your last post I would agree. get the Ampeg. BTW hopefully you have a truck or a van to transport thet cabinet. Have fun and enjoy.

11. I dunno how much the SVT3pro typically goes for, but I distinctly remember seeing two of those 1540 cabs at some local music store for $500 each; that was several years ago. I was very intrigued, but it would've been inappropriate for me at the time (had no head, and that's pretty damn bulky for me). I presume they'd been there for a while, as they were using them essentially as display tables: laying on the side, with a bunch of guitars sitting on top and no obvious sign or pricetag on the cabs themselves. Anyway, I dunno if that price was unusual, but you might wanna keep it in mind.

BTW, nothing wrong with a beginner with pro gear, especially if you'll be playing gigs that demand it.

12. "I had no idea that my bass could sound that good! So here's my new delimma - I've only been playing since February and taking lessons since May so I'm a rank beginner so is this rig over my head or is it a good start?"

An inspiring tone is one of the best learning tools you can have. You'll develop a deeper love faster that way. You can't argue with those religious experiences.

13. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    Hey , be carreful man,the 1540 ampeg cab was made for the biamped head!!!

SVT 3 PRO cannot sound with it!!!
    I wanted the same cab last year, but i had this problem!!!

14. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Buy it, buy it, buy it.

Then once you buy it, sell the head for a premium price and keep the cabs.

I've got a 3pro too, and quite frankly i cant recommend them. They're muddy, woofy, underpowered boat anchors, that sell by the bucket load because of their 'prestige' label, not because of they're great sound.

And because of the fact that churches arent arent exactly renowned for their excellent acoustics, a 3pro, IMO, would struggle to cut through in a room of that nature.

Sorry if ive offended, but thats my $0.02

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You can ask all you want here and you will get as many opinions as answers.

What you have to do is decide for yourself. Did you like the tone you got?
    Are you going to regret if you pass up on it?

The price seems reasonable since it is in mint coindition.

If you like it, then go for it and never look back! :)

16. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Hey Slot,

No offence taken. Funny you should say that because our guitar player (he's a pro level player) said the same thing after Mass on Sunday when I told him I might buy that rig. I'm going to keep the amp but I'm still going to piece together a higher power Mesa rig in the long run.

For now, I'm trying to raise the money before my brother in law looses his paitence and sells it to someone else. I've got one of my kidneys up for bid on eBay China. With a favorable exchange rate I should get nearly enough to do the deal! :D

Oh, the acoustics in our church are horrible. We put in carpet and that helped but the sound board is right by the band / choir area so it's really hard to do sound checks and balance everything out.

17. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Hey citizen, I'm a newbie so I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. Could you explain further? Thanks

18. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    I own a svt 3 pro, and i was looking for a 1540 cab last years.
    Different sellers said me the 1540cab is only made for the biamped head.
    Svt 3 pro is not a biamped head, so it wont work, or only the 1*15 or 4*10 separatly.

19. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I can't find any useful info on the Ampeg 1540, even on the Ampeg website. Can you run the 15 and 410 sections by themselves?

20. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ok, heres the deal. The Ampeg cab is a bi-amp/full range cab. Each cab section is 4 ohms.So this means the 4x10 is 4 ohms and the 1x15 is 4 ohms. You can run a bi-amp setup, so each power section gets close to the maximum power. The SVT-3 Pro is not a bi-amp head. it has 1 power section that puts out 280 watts at 8 ohms, and 450 watts at 4 ohms. As you can see, there is no power rating for 2 ohms, which means this head cannot run at 2 ohms. And seeing how 2 4 ohms sections equal 2 ohms, you can't run 2 speaker outs into the two speaker in's on the cab. HOWEVER-the whole cab (the 4x10 and the 1x15) are wired in series, giving it an 8 ohm total load in full range. So basically it's an 8 ohm cab AND a 2 ohm cab. What people are talking about the SVT-3 Pro being underpowered is just rubbish. I know how alot of people aren't into graphic EQ, but this amp is nothing without the graphic EQ. People don't even bother to turn it on, and turn up the volume and say "wow, this is real quiet!" but even if you've dialed in your tone through parametric EQ's, just do yourself a favor and switch on the graphic EQ, set it flat, but pump the +10 DB Boost. This just about Triples the output power, and this thing IS loud, and that's not my opinion. My master (set on 9 oclock, gain at about 10 oclock) was rattling the walls, and theres no need for any more volume.

Summarized, yes, the cab can be run with an SVT-3 Pro or any head that can run 8 ohms (which is just about all of them. These two cabs is an awesome setup for stuff i do. I think this rig really needs a compressor to stand out. i'll say it again... go for the ampeg! and the cab really isn't that hard to haul around, you don't need a huge vehicle, just a sedan with flip-down seats, or a minivan. There are no specs on the ampeg website, and alot of specs i see are false. i Even have the catalog from 1994 with this cab in it, and it says the efficency is 118DB. theres no way this is true. I looked somewhere else, and it said 100DB, and that sounded right. in the catalog, it also said the SVT-210 Pro weighed 250 Lbs... thats one heavey 2x10! If you have any more questions about this setup, feel free to PM me or IM me on AIM, my SN is Scott tha robot.

Peace,
    Scott