1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much would you pay to get back your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steviecsg, Apr 18, 2006.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Assuming you sold your first bass in a moment of folly, how much would you pay to buy it back for sentimental reasons?

Would you pay up to twice the amount you sold it for? Assume also that the bass has been modded by you and thus these modifications combined have significance to you.

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    That constitutes a lot of hypotheticals. In my case, I am right now using my first bass, from 1981, as my number one. And I still have my first g**tar.

Once upon a time, I bought a Ventura for $20, and sold it for $65 (ah! the days before "used" became "vintage") and recently saw the exact same model at a local store for $235.

I passed.

3. Not much. lol I would love to get it back, for sentimental reasons, but IMO, its stupid to pay more than it's worth... specially since all my basses are better than that one.

4. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nothing... my first one was junk.

5. Zero dollars. 80's Hondo p-bass copy, total junk, virtually unplayable, no thanks...

6. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I still have my first one, a Washburn CB-150. It's actually a great playing little bass. The pickup and electronics in it were pure crap but I changed the pots and put the SX pup I pulled from my P/J and put it in...it's much better now, though I never play it live. It's really not bad since it has a heavier bridge than my Fender and SX do, and it has Gotoh tuners! I'd probably play it out more if it was a P/J, or had a more Fender-ish body style. I still use it as my primary practice bass, and it's not worth selling really.

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I sold my first bass for around $35. I would easily pay 3 or 4 times that to have a semi-hollow JC pennys bass, three tone burst, double pick up back in my hands.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

8. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    I still have mine. A Yamaha BB200. I did a half-assed defret job awhile ago and now it just sits under my bed in a gig bag collecting dust.

9. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I still have mine too. An infamous Westone "The Rail" steinberger spinoff with a moveable pickup. It was defretted too, many years ago, but recently a friend encouraged me to get it refretted and start using it again. It's now at the local guitar shop getting a complete overhaul :help:

PS: Anyone know of a (passive) replacement pickup that would fit?

10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    it was a Kay that actually broke in two halves.

11. $100

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I would love to get my first bass back... 1973 fretless P bass...seafoam green

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Those are getting to be rare birds, worth a bit more than when new. I'd like to have one, just for the ugly.

14. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I had a Kay too. It did not break but the neck warped badly.

Jim

15. Nothing. When I fix the jack I'll probably sell it for cheap or give it away.

16. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    my first bass was a borrowed, ancient (even by then) '70s jazz ho - a Zenta but ive seen near identical Ibanez and Columbus

mega low output, inoperative truss, plywood body with wonky very 50s framus looking sunburst, weighed three quarters of a ton you know the score

It back with its owner, who never really could play and cant now due to a lack of fingers!

it really was poo with strings, but id like to have it around

memories of first gigs and simpler times and all that

ALWAYS try and keep your first instrument, you will wish you had at some point

cheers
    Lucy

17. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    My Mako Warlock copy with the plywood body and serious neck dive???
    :hyper:

18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Id pay someone to not give it back to me

Rob

19. impact07

impact07

Jul 13, 2005
    Tucson, Az
    I would definately pay more now to get it back. My first bass was a Vox copy of a Gibson es335 style. Hollow Body, red burst. It was a little junky, so I sold it for the $150 my mom paid for it and bought an Ibanez pointy crappy thing, which I still have for some reason.:crying:

Unfortunately the bass was stolen from the guy I sold it to. Every now and then I check eBay to see if someone, somewhere is selling one...

20. +1