Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Much Would You Pay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What would you offer for a Geddy Lee Jazz that has been hanging around Sam Ash for a while and has some serious dings on it?I already let the salesman know that the price they had on it ($699) was $70 over the normal price for those basses and we could work down from there.He said to make him an offer when his manager was in and I might be able to get it below cost.Anybody know what cost would be on the Geddy?Oh,yeah i'm not sure what year it is but it says limited edition on it which I heard someone with an older(1999) one mention before?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would offer 450 cash given the way you described it (if you feel it is worth more than increase that number), if the manager said no then leave. It is beaten, and that is the best way to buy an instrument for less than the sticker price.

699 is insane, I think Musician's Friend sells them brand new for less than that.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Serious dings? That's kinda hard to gauge without seeing them.

Walk in with $500 in cash, tell them to make it happen. If not, you're not out anything. It helps to have the cash; not check, not a credit card, but the actual green itself.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    It has about 5 paint chips about the size of a dime on the back of the body,one huge gouge about a quarter inch thick by the strap button on the bottom of the body that looks like someone hit it with a tuning key and various small dings a scratches all over it.It did sound sweet though.I played it through a GK 400RB 1-15 combo and it was very warm and fat sounding and not at all dull or muddy even with very dead strings on it.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Given that description, I wouldn't go higher than 450.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Around 500.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. And tell them you're giving them some because you love the way they dress.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oye, those sound like some pretty serious dings. $450, take it or leave it. Dont take any crap, dont even think about it if he offers you say $550 or something, just say 'Sorry, $450's all i can do for it' and turn to walk away. If they are smart, they will give it to you for $450.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ding, check please.

10. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    one fell off a wall at a sam ash i went to...i watched it fall...they only took 60 off of it...they tried to screw me big time...it had a HUGE gash in the body and one of the tuning pegs flew off...i wouldnt pay over $550 for a geddy lee with dings in it...its a good bass...but dont let them screw you

11. They sell that same bass in Musicians Friend brand new for $629.99! And the year really doesnt matter all that much unless its a old special year or something. So I would tell that manager he ripping you off if he even sells it to you for $600

12. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I would want a straight answer as to why they are selling it for $70.00 over Fenders suggested price. If the manager can not give you an answer that satisfies you then don't trust them by buying the bass. If it is dinged up that bad, who knows what else is wrong with it.

13. why buy a bass thats all dinged up when you can get a used gl for 450-500 thats in perfect shape off ebay?

14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I said that they usually sell for $629 in my original post.The only reason I mentioned the year is beacuse i'm curious how long it's been sitting there.
    To Egotistical,I don't want a G&L.I just want to know what to offer for this particular Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

15. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Egotistical wasn't talking about a G&L, he said "GL" - "Geddy Lee"!! ;)

For what it's worth, I agree with him. Why buy a beaten up bass when for the same money you could probably get a pristine condition one off Ebay? The bass you've described seems to have some major damage to it - it's not like it's just a small bump or too. You'll find plenty of used basses in much better condition.

16. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Sorry Egotistical,I misread your post.It was 2:30 a.m. when I got home from rehearsal and looked at it,my mistake :) Thanks for all the advice guys.I think I will pass on it.I'm starting to lean towards a Tribute L2500 Premium as I think it will be a more suitable(flexible)backup to my Stingray 5.Peace and Love to All :D

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its all good. I misread his post too, and was about to say 'he doesnt want a G & L dude' but then i re read it. heh

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree with the $450 as well, but no more at all. Use cash, in twenties. Watch the guy's eyes light up as you wave the dough in his face then see if he says no.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Geddy's were originally limited edition but were so well recieved they were put into full production, right?