Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much would you say a decent bass costs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric arcia, Jul 21, 2004.

1. hey all... how much would you say a decent bass would cost. when i say decent i mean one you wouldnt change for at least 5 years. how much and what bass would that be?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i'd have to say around 400 or 500$.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Stop reading these boards if you want any bass to last you 4 or 5 years. :D

Seriously, it isn't a matter of price. What happens is that we all get the itch to try something different. There is always something that is either better or just different than what you already have. The more you read about different basses, the more you want to actually have them. This is just the nature of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome.

My advise is to start out with used basses. Used basses can be resold for about what you pay for them. If you are really lucky, sometimes they can be sold for more than you paid. If you do this then you can change basses and you won't feel like you are throwing away money.

4. I gave 400 bucks for my SR506 4 1/2 years ago...and it has been my primary bass since....however, it's soon to be retired by a Cirrus 6 Redwood top :D

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm gonna say $600, you can get something pretty nice for that price, like a Geddy Lee jazz bass.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    It's not so much about the cost of the bass as it is about whether or not the bass offers all the features that you're looking for. I bought a 4-string ESP about a year and a half ago for $500, and although I still love it, I intend to buy a high-end bass within the year. I won't sell my current one because it's a perfectly good bass with a great sound, but I still want a five string, I want pickups that aren't EMG's (like 'em, but I need something different), and I want a brighter fretboard wood.

So... figure out what you want in a bass, and do some price shopping. I imagine it'll cost over $500 to find something that'll keep you satisfied for 4-5 years. When I bought mine, I was perfectly happy, and look at me now.

7. That's like asking how much a decent car costs! There is a wide range of instruments and a wide range of prices. I am a semi-pro weekend warrior, I have 4 (good, IMO) basses and less than $1,400 invested in all 4. You will be better off letting us know how much you have to spend, what kind of music you play and then we'll be able to help more. As it is now, you'll get a thousand different answers.

8. I'd say about $700 - Why that figure?

All things being equal, I feel that at about the $700 price level for a new bass, you get an instrument that has been made with a decent level of attention to detail, and *PROBABLY* not need anything other than a good set up to play well. The reason I choose $700, is because I have owned a $350 MIM Jazz bass, and still own a Yamaha BBN5 II, which was $400 brand new.

The Fender had a very good tone, but I noticed that the washers that held the tuning machines in place were not seated flush, and it had cheap pots in it. It was fretless, so I can't comment on the fretwork.

The Yamaha has a very growly tone that I like, but the particular bass I bought needed the frets filed as soon as I got it. I tried one out in the store that was fine, but insisted on a brand spanking new bass - IN THE BOX, and this is what I got for not playing it first. Serves me right. The Yamaha also came with cheap pots (which I had replaced) but its overall construction was better than the Fender, IMHO.

I also own an EB Stingray, which I am happy to say is just about perfect in workmanship, set up and finish. I paid $1,200 two and a half years ago, and bought it brand new off the rack.

Also, whenever I check out basses in stores, it seems that at about the $700 mark the overall quality of the instrument starts to show itself regardless of the manufacturer. At about $1,000 I think the average bass is very well made, and that lemons are rare at this price level. Above $1,500, there are very few worries.

There are, of course, exceptions to these guidelines. ;)

That's my spin.

Mike

9. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    It comes down to bang-for-buck. It seems, to me, that the most bang-for-buck centers around $600-$1300. I know it's wide, but that's just the way I perceive it.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I agree, big difference between $500.00 and $1300.00.
    Not so big between $1300.00-2000.00.
    I know money's tight, but get the best bass you can afford.

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    $10.00 and a bottle of Whiskey.

But really.. if you want a majorly lasting bass, I would say at least $1000.00

12. 600-800. There are alot of neat basses between that price range

13. $450 USD.

14. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Around $500, whatever good deal you can get on either a Fender MIJ Marcus Miller Jazz Bass or a G&L Tribute L-2000.

15. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    However much one of those Lakland Skylines cost! Whew, I almost wish I would have held out for a bit longer and gotten more cash to get one of those, even though I'm completely satisfied with my bass right now for it's price.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Decent bass, id say a MIM fender is "decent'. $300-400.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you have no backround in fretted instruments, take a good bassist or guitar player with you when you check out instruments. That person will help you figure which instruments are decently put together. This could be very important if you decide on certain brands like Fender that can be inconsistent. For instance, some Mexican Fenders are as sweet as any bass you will ever hear, however, some high end American Fenders might let you down.

If you enlist experienced help, yoou might find a great bass as low as $250 or $300. Without help, look for at the $500-$800 range.

18. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    In four to five years, you'll be asking about your third of fourth bass. It's calles GAS and you'll get it.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I didnt get it till i came here really, only a little. Grr roar TB, roar.

20. Ok here's my thoughts

Not really good bass- Free-300
    Decent Bass- 301-800
    Excellent Bass- 801+