1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much would you spend.............

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, May 2, 2006.

1. To refurb a SUB ???

I picked up a WELL worn SUB for basically dinner and drinks. The Frets are WORN OUT. The body is stage rashed beyond belief. It's been gigged several nights per week for about 2 years and actually has sticky dried beer and what looks like confetti in around the pickup. :meh: It still sounds really punchy though :)

I'm thinking, Moses graphite neck. Their MM neck should fit right in a SUB cavitity?? Yes it costs more than a new SUB but I don't care!! That will cure the worn fret problem and thrashed heck head stock.

I thought it would be cool to finish the body in clear nitro, thick enough to completely cover the rash while allowing it to show through. I've seen this done before on guitars and I like the look. This bass really has a "personality" :eyebrow:

The pickup is trashed. Looking for a recommendation.

Also, might as well go wtih a new preamp, controls and hardware. I want this to ROCK!!! Suggestions more than welcome.

2. Why not just get a new or used MM Stingray? It would probly be cheaper. When you change that much about it, its probly not going to have the same sound that youre liking.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, you managed to trash a SUB? I'm impressed. Not even chemical strippers go through that garbage!

4. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    If it still sounds good then who cares?

If it needs new frets then change the neck.

Done.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Why not just a refret? If you're going through frets this quickly, switching to graphite may be a bad idea. It's messy and expensive to replace frets on a graphite neck.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

+1 on the re-fret job. You can also get the body refinished and pop a new pickup in it!

7. Refret it. It's the cheapest solution. Also have a professional clean it well and there you go, problem solved.

8. First paragraph:

>>I picked up a WELL worn SUB for basically dinner and drinks. The Frets are WORN OUT. The body is stage rashed beyond belief. It's been gigged several nights per week for about 2 years and actually has sticky dried beer and what looks like confetti in around the pickup. It still sounds really punchy though.<<

I didn't wear it out, I just picked it up yesterday. It came that way. My thoughts were to just save the body and and replace everything else. The pots are worn out. The pickup works but looks like HELL. I'm looking for an interesting and fun project not neccessarily a logical one.:p

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, my mistake then. If you're looking to refurbish the thing as a project, barring any financial sense, you're on the right track.

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't forget Musicman picked ugly wood grains and mismatched pieces for the sub, as it was all to be hidden by the finish....so a new clear coat will probably not look good. or did you mean top coat?
    The Status MM necks look very cool.
    If the pickup works and sounds good, why not clean it up and replace necessary pots?
    murphy

11. What I mean is a thick clear finish that completely fills in all the deep scratches and dings that are through the paint, down to the wood. I will find out what was used on the guitar I saw, the affect looked COOL!! The badly worn body looked encapsulated in the smooth, clear finish.

I will definately use the old pickup at first and see how it sounds but GAWD it looks nasty :eyebrow:

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about some pics of this well worn bass?

13. I will denfinately take some "before" pics!!

14. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I like the idea of putting a clear coat over everything and keeping the look, but why not just clean up the pickup and keep the wear on it as well? I love the look of worn pickups and they look cool with all the gunk off.

I'm also for the re-fret as opposed to upgrading MM's bottom model with a graphite neck.

Plus getting rid of the neck and pickup which already have so much mileage and vibe to them will kind of contrast pretty sharply with the old worn finish underneath.

Clean everything up and do a re-fret! :bassist: