How much?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by paniak17, Mar 19, 2004.

1. How much am i looking at to get a whammy bar attached to a 5 string bass, i know 5 string whammys are about $200, how much for the other stuff?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This can be costly. This requires routing, and that is pricey. Can't give you exact figures. Might be a post that needs to be in luthiers corner to get to actual luthiers quicker.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    the cost is probably worth less then final outcome. Two things to consider about vibratos. I assume you are talking about the Hipshot and not a Kahler flatmount.

1 The resale value on whatever instrument you decide to do it to will be killed. Probably by as much as half of the original price.

2 The main gripe with bass vibratos is that are either just a neat trick for every once and a while and are not a needed or they throw the entire bass out of tune with heavy use or broken strings.

not to mention paying a at least a $300 just to get it purchased and installed.
  4. Any discussion of price would be strictly generic. Luthiers on this forum are forbidden from discussing their pricing by forum rules against advertising.