Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Much..............

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smurf, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Smurf

Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    Hello Folk's,
    This is a serious question, not a flame, search the forum type question. I have a DeArmond Pilot5 5 string in see-thru red finish, and it's a 9 out of 10 in codition. The band I am in plays a lot of the old country-southern gospel type stuff and the B just takes over too much on the rare times I do use it, so I am looking to go to a 4, J or P not sure yet. My question is this, how much, in todays market is it worth? :help: Everything, intonation, electronics, neck, tuning keys, are 100%, the only problem is someone before I got it tried to install strap locks and scratched the finish on the tail, along with breaking off a screw in the hole! The strap button is solid, it just sucks that it's like this. :spit: If anyone knows a fair in-the-ball park price for this so I can dicker with my local music store please let me know. Sorry I don't have a camara or I would post a pic. thanks in advance for any and all help, Smurf

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    unfortunately, they don't have good resale value to be such good basses..

I picked up one that was 9-9.5 condition really cheap and unfortunately, had to sell it cheap.

I rarely see the 5 string Pilot Pro go for more than $200.

Basically somewhere between $150 and $225. YMMV

3. Smurf

Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    I had a feeling that $200 would be the ball park. I would only lose $50 if I got that out of it, and I've got more than that out of it in enjoyment from playing it. Thanks again for the response, Smurf

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dealers will typically pay about one-fourth of list for used gear so they can mark it at two-thirds of list and sell it for half of list.

5. Smurf

Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    The store I will be dealing with is where I got it. They have been really good in the past to give me, and others, a fair price and/or trade in whenever I have delt with them. I am not looking to get even 1/2 or 2/3 of what I paid for it, I just wanted to know a ball park figure. I trust the peoples thoughts on this forum and I have never got a string of !@#$ when i have asked a question here. I will also be taking a PSR 275 keyboard with stand in to sort of "raise" the dicker factor a little. All I need is a good playing 4 string at the moment, down the road I'll get a player, not just a play-thing! I really like this 5 string, but it just don't fit with what I'm doing at the moment. If money wasn't so tight I would keep it. Thanks again for the response, this place is great! Smurf

6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Dearmond isn't worth much, but it sounds like you already knew that. I keep my old worthless basses for stage backups just in case.......