How Nordstrand NJ5 pickups saved my life

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by B String, Aug 17, 2013.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ok, so maybe I overstated it just a little, but after using them for a while I thought it was time for a review.

First, I have a 2004 Fender Am Dlx J V. Alder body with Maple fingerboard. Stock SCN pickups and preamp. A particularly good example of the model made even better by having Carey Nordstrand reshape the neck. Never had any complaints live or in the studio about this bass. But there was one thing....
    I've always been more of a Rosewood board kind of guy and this bass has that canky, 80's kind of upper mids that I was always trying to eq out, as well as eq in a little more low mid-upper bass. Still a very good bass. Carey persuaded me to try some pickups and maybe a new preamp, so I started down "that road".

First we tried just changing the pickups, but none seemed to work well with the Fender preamp. Then we changed preamp with the Fender pickups. Also not too impressed. Then we went with Nordy NJ5fs pickups. These are NJ5's made to fit Fender 5 string basses and are split coil hum cancelling.
    BIG DIFFERENCE! Better in just about every way from the stock Fender electronics. Just for kicks I asked Carey if I could check out the NJ5 single coils just to hear the difference. Boom!!!

We're all chasing the "sound in our heads". For me the combination of the Nordy 2 band preamp with passive option and the NJ5's were the thing. And for some reason the canky, Maple board upper mids were gone and replaced with a fat, punchy, articulate tone that I usually only had when doing large venues and big rigs. I now keep most all amps pretty much flat and my "working" bass has become a major love. I even find myself using the bass in passive mode. Sounds great

I'm flat out amazed at the difference the Nordy NJ5's and Nordy preamp have made. They've saved my bass, and by extension, my life.... or at least my sanity.

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    :D

uh ehm… your sanity? :eyebrow:

:p

Glad all worked out!

M

3. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey! You don't know. It could be true. Anyway, a lot of this is your fault. You and Carey are pickup pushers.
    Its that whole chasing the sound in your head thing.
    Bottom line is the NJ5 is a killer pickup and the preamp is a great compliment to it. And because of your installation I haven't had noise anywhere yet. Thanks

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    :oops:

thank you!

Uhm…. it's very late…. what are you doing up this late, old friend? :ninja:

Oh, and it's your fault, just got a custom set of BSp for my own bass :p

seriously tho, how's everything?

M

5. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just got home. Things are good. I'll give you a call.
    Hope you're having some fun.

6. DubHunter

DubHunter

Feb 15, 2008
    Columbia Gorge
    Always nice to hear happy Nordstrand stories.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The Nordy single coils are an excellent drop in replacement for Fender V. Great choice for a totally passive bass as well.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021