How NOT to book a show

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PeaveyMH, Dec 18, 2003.

1. PeaveyMH

PeaveyMH Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Sanatoga, PA
    Ok, this is my first post in these forums, and this page caught my eye. Let me tell you a story about the gig that never was.

A lot of people in my area are into the "punk" scene. In my band we play music that has a slightly-80'ish feel to it, so you can understand that we have a slightly limited fanbase. I say slightly because we do have quite a lot of fans. That being said, here's my story

We were supposed to play a benefit concert for my High School on December 5th. But it was cancelled, because they wanted to have a Different show to help support the Juinor-Sienor prom for that year, because nobody was selling fundraisers. I went had had a chat with the teacher in charge of the show (which is on the 19th) and he said that he would gladly put us on the list.

But some girl took it upon herself to edit the band list and cut us, and a few other bands out so she could add in bands that SHE wanted to hear. this girl was in student government. We were never informed we were cut until A friend of mine told me. I'm not really an angry person...but this set me off. after a verbal argument that lasted about 45 minutes we were put back in and this girl was promptly enraged.

Then the rumors started flying that we tried to get the show cancelled. I replied to all this by saying that "Why would I want a show thatI'm playing at to be cancelled?" but it all falls on deaf ears.

Want to know the funny part? they didn't rent a PA for this and this same girl wants to use our PA system for this show. I hate being in High School.
  2. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Deal with it. Good experience for when you start working:)
  3. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Stupid spoiled bratty girl -.-

why didnt you smack her with your bass? thats what bassists do with their basses, smack people. And so that is why basses are better than guitars.
    but then drummers can use their cymals as sheilds and attack with their drums sticks o_o
    or use two cymals, one as a shield and another as a big 'battle-frisbee.' scary stuff. scary stuff.
  4. I agree in principle with VellaBass. Just wait. Although it has been a good many years since I was in high school, and I was not particularly fond of it while I was there, afterward the number of people who will lie to you, stab you in the back, take advantage of you, etc. goes up exponentially because now money is involved. The key to success in the music business, or any other for that matter, is to learn how to solve problems to your own best advantage. You are getting good practice now.
  5. Take some revenge. Use your PA. YOU be the sound guy. ;)

huh? schwing! :D :ninja:
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Dude that aint nothing, wait untill you start playing the bar scene. There is so much BS sometimes you feel like it's not worth it. Sometimes the people you deal with are awesome and everything goes perfect and it makes it all worth while...better get use to it.
  7. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Screw the show, and screw your school. Tell her to go to hell.
  8. Screw High School, College is Better!

Your work load is higher so your parents don't expect you to work. Being on residence away from parents rules.
    People are a little bit more mature, your old enough to drink... legaly (In Canada at least). And girls are still hot and easy.:cool: :) ;)

It truely is the the best Years of my life.
  9. SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    Was this chick hot?:D