1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how NOT to sell a fake rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
  2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Pretty dumb to put it on that forum. But I still think it's ridiculous how tightassed everybody is about Ric copies.

3. pretty sure that their trademarks aren't valid here, like Gibson and the Les Paul shape. What a load of tossers those Ric guys are

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    What an understanding bunch of people. Their behaviour sure makes me want to buy an Rickenbacker.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

So long as you buy a genuine Ric and not a copyright infringing intellectual property pirating non-US made knock off. You'll like it a lot.

6. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Supporting Member

Well, as I understand it, in the US at least, you HAVE to protect your trademarks or else you can lose them. It's their company and their tradmemark and they have a right, actually a legal responsibility as officers of the corporation, to protect them.

Kleenex is a brand name but if they didn't protect their trademark all these years, and they have, it would become a generic term and they would lose the exclusive rights to their own name. I remember when this was an issue many years ago.

So, it's not that they're being jerks, it's protecting their business- a legal responsibility.

Besides, selling a Ric copy (illegal whether you like it or not) on Ric's own board is really really stupid!!!

7. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    What's the problem with Ric copies? No one is suing SX, Sadowsky, Lakland, etc. for making Fender copies, and I'm pretty sure Fender hasn't licensed them to do so.

8. Asht0n

Asht0n

Nov 3, 2005
    United Kingdom
    And I thought elitism was dead...

9. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Not the case at all. If someone wants to introduce cheaply made Asian Rickenbackers to the world, shouldn't it be Rickenbacker?? They have made the decision to keep their manufacturing facility small, and their quality high. There are no plans by Ric to start making cheap guitars in Asia.

I bet the people at Rolex are just overjoyed about their factory in Korea.

10. By the time I got to the page, it had already been taken down, but it sounds like the guy was selling second-hand. How could the whole trademark infringement thing come into effect on *that*?

11. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    Honestly, if someone likes the look, and wants a different sound, I wouldn't mind.
    I think the RIC dudes are being pretty srupid for doing that!
    Everyone who needs to know it's not a rickenbacker will know by the sound or by a better look.
    same with fender/les paul/sg/explorer/flying V copies

12. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    If it looks like a Ric, supposedly has the same specs as a Ric and it aint a Ric, you can legally own one, but selling them is strictly verboten.

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Rickenbacker hate the free market :)

14. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Fender and Gibson were remiss in their lack of copyright protection and they are now paying the price. Of course both of those companies make cheap licensed copies of their own instruments in off shore factories, but enforcing copyright law after years of allowing fakes to be sold is a tough subject. If every Fender type instrument sold was a genuine Fender the Fender company would be selling more instruments and making more money off of the instruments they spent time and money designing. Rickenbacker makes instruments to a high standard, and if it's a Ric it's make in California USA. There will never be the Mexican Rics are almost as high quality as US Rics but not as good as Japanese Rics but far superior to Indonesian Rics crap that you see on this board concerning other companies.

If you want a different sound, you are free to install what ever harware or PUP's you so desire.

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Ric developed, devised, invented, and patented the 4000 series bass, and have striven to make them into the best instruments around. You don't have to like Ric basses to appreciate this.

I owned a 1967 Ric 366/12, back in the late '80s, and it was a gorgeous piece of gear. Glassy finish, figured wood on the back, easy action and the classic Ric sound...and every other Ric I have seen has been of similarly high quality.

Compare this with Fender, with their Mexican and Indian and Korean and Japanese instruments, quality that varies from pretty good to ghastly, and I think you'll conclude that, when you buy a Ric, you are much more certain to get exactly what you expect. (Again, let's keep this issue separate from whether you like the Ric sound or not -- personally, I'm a Fender man:D .)

So give credit where credit is due. They are protecting their own reputation, less by banning idiots from their discussion boards, and more by building high quality instruments.

Given their distinctive tone, it's hard to imagine why anyone would want an inferior imitation. If you like that Ric sound, then, dammit, get a Ric.

And give thanks that John Hall and company take their basses a bit more seriously than almost any other mass production outfit you can name.

16. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    In the USA copyrights and patents are serious business.

You don't see companies copying others products outside of the laws no matter if it's a widget or a bass.

It's nice to know if you have a good idea and go through the hoops to protect it that you won't be broken by larger companies stealing your ideas.

I feel our system of capitalism would not survive without these types of laws.

Do I agree with the way some fervently protect their products?

hmmm...

17. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Unfortunately, they have to be jerks about every little infraction or they won't be able to enforce ANY copyright going forward. It's not their fault someone bought a knockoff in the first place.

Rickenbacker loves the free market, they just dislike the black market.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  18. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    So if you own a bass like this....there is no way you can ever get rid of it....besides giving it away or throwing it away?

19. Why buy a copy if the real thing is better ? .
    The people at ric from John Hall down, all make time to reply on their forum's they never sold out for profit and dont ship poor quality stuff just to make cash ..

Ask the same question of the CEO of fender or gibson that question [ but you will get no reply ]..

I own and play a Fender and love it but would love it more if it were more unique and not run of the mill, is it a mexican korean MIJ or usa guitar !!

Mine is a usa p deluxe but still not built as good as my ric !!
    :hyper: :bassist:

20. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Exactly. If you do decide to try to sell one, posting it on E-bay or the RICKENBACKER website is going attract unwanted attention.