1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how not to start a gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BDL1991, Sep 7, 2008.

1. go walking with your gf to a secluded place, proceed to get busy, get a call from your guitarist, your singers gf and your gf's best friend telling you that your on in 5 minutes and your a 5/7 min walk away and then walk in halfway through the 1st song pick up your bass and start playing while the singer is shouting something about sex and late (Y):bag:

2. Smooth move.

3. yup twas especially smooth when my lead turned out to be bust lol

4. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Rock and roll man.

5. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Better that you are late than your g/f.

6. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    The best "how not to start a gig" story I have is prety simple, was playing guitar in a noise/indie rock group about 5 years ago, and long-story-short we got a gig playing in a barn in small town kansas to about 300 rednecks... our bass player walks up to the mic before our first song and says "I heard all you rednecks **** your dogs" and we immediately started the first song.

:D

7. Lol wow :smug: I lol'd irl...

8. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    how about fighting with the drummer and guitarist about the set list because they want to change it last minute and your Ex-girlfriend showing up to the show with her new BF .... You start doing sound check and your getting air traffic control coming in nice and clearly through your bass amp oh yeah and during sound check your E string pops right at the bridge on you main bass you were going to use that night... no joke that happened to me at a show all of it .. i dubbed that show Hell Show....

9. ouch bad crack lyk

10. the catholic method works (Y)

11. that is really smart, it's lyk playing a certain biker gig up here and saying i hear bikers like gay sex with *insert racist slur here*

12. Thats punk rock

13. I'm surprised that you actually 1) Got paid for the gig, 2) actually made it out alive.

14. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    sounds like a great way to start a gig

15. When I was a teenager back in the 80s, we played at this party, and unbeknown-st to the rest of the band, there was a guy in the audience who was pissed at our drummer. It was something having to do with a girl. So this guy out in the audience kept giving us the finger and making faces at us. I just figured he was drunk and not everyone is always going to like your music. As long as he didn't start throwing beer bottles at us, I could ignore him.

Right in the middle of the next song, the guy turns around and moons us. Our drummer throws down his sticks and flies over his kit and past my right shoulder into the crowd and starts pummeling the heckler. The guitarist looks at me in disbelief and I signal to him to keep playing, and I start tapping out the beat with my foot really loudly on the wooden stage.

After the song ends, our drummer emerges from this dog pile of people in front of us, he's all bloody and his shirt & pants are all torn-up. He sits back down at his kit and signals he's ready for the next song.