1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How obsessive are you with your presets?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adamixoye, Nov 4, 2013.

1. I set up most/all of my presets in a highly organized way (e.g. Excel file)

12 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. I set up a lot of presets but I'm not very organized about it

8 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. I set up preset lists for sets/songs, but I could do a lot more

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. I have presets for just a few sounds

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. I don't really use presets, I just like the tweakability

42 vote(s)
    50.6%
  1. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I've been thinking lately that my presets are not organized the way I would like them. My background was primarily in using multi-effects until about 18 months ago I started moving toward individual pedals, and now I have a fairly extensive board that does what my multis would do and more. Several of my "individual" pedals, however (M5, two Eventides), are still digital and have presets. And as I said, I don't think I am taking advantage of them the way they deserve. I definitely have SOME presets and good sounds, but I feel like I should do more.

I am curious how others approach presets.

2. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have marks on each pedal to indicate nominal settings.

3. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I see this is already heading in a slightly different direction than I meant---I'm really talking about pedals that have digitally controlled presets. E.g. a multieffects unit or the units I talked about. Not just your "preset" settings on an analog pedal or combination of pedals.

4. I'm in the same boat with an m9, h9, Pitchfactor, and BEF pro. I have the m9 and BEF pro maxed out for their presets because I've had them longer and know them better in and out. The eventides I'm still wrapping my brain around what they're capable of. I'm seriously considering adding an h9 every couple of months when I replenish my funds because the iOS/desktop programmability and saving is so nice. And picking and choosing algorithms would mean I could get by with 3-4 h9s and maybe a dirt pedal or 2.

5. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    I just have one sound. Use it for everything

6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    10/10, would read again!

7. A vast wealth of knowledge here folks.

8. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    I wouldn't say that exactly...

To be more exact:
    I'm happy with the sound I have (bass +5, mids on +3 and treble on +4) and dabble a bit of wah and distortion, but still keep those pedals all kept the same no matter what. The sound seems to work, and it is a one that in the bands I have been in I have been known for (locally anyway). So far haven't had any situations where that hasn't worked for me. Why change it?

9. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    The question was supposed to assume that you use presets or tweak preset-capable effects. If you don't tweak your effects, your response isn't really relevant, no offense.

10. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    I have a huge amount of presets for a huge amount of pedals. Some pedals often get used totally differently track to track. I don't write anything down, I just play with my gear until it sticks. I seem to have an uncanny ability to recall knob positions and switch settings. Plus, if something is wrong I can usually hear what's out.
    I think this has only come from spending serious amounts of time with each part of my set up.

11. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Oh sorry, my bad. I assume full responsibility for this mistake and can assure it will never happen again.

Thanks,

Dan

12. I set my BDDI deluxe for no effect, effect loop on, effect loop with boost. Two basses, one bank for each. Crude, effective, and totally on topic.

13. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. But your original post was definitely along the lines of "the only effects I need are a cable and my fingers" responses that, for some reason, we still get regularly around here in the Effects forum. Now, seeing that you do use effects, it's not entirely the same. But if you just have set-it-and-forget-it pedals, then it's kind of off-topic.

14. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Well, the feelings that inspired this post and the subsequent ones that it inspired in me (it was like a feedback loop!) caused me to sit down with my M5 last night and fill up nearly all the presets (21/24). I'm sure I have some tweaking to do, but I sat down with the effects list and listed the ones I wanted to have in my M5 that were either unique Line6 effects (like Octo, Particle Verb, and some of the synths) or that were not covered by the rest of my board (delays and reverb, primarily). I used an Excel spreadsheet to list them and organize them by category (as Line6 puts it: "Delay/Mod/Distortion/Filter/Verb"), then started setting them up and put in the essential settings I wanted in each. I'm pretty happy.

Now to fill those last three spots, maybe do some tweaks, and move on to my Modfactor...

15. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I can get pretty obsessive I think but my attention span is not great so after a year and a half with the B3 there's still one bank of original presets I haven't overwritten. Of the remainder there's about two banks that I haven't abandoned. I think one of the things that makes a multi so nice for me is that Im constantly fiddling with the presets, I'm too fickle for individual pedals.

16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have a B3 that took over a few single pedal duties so my presets are basically set up to cover those sounds. I have them organized enough that I know where they are and they're easy to call up. I basically have a page for Modulation, a page for Synth like tones, and a page for Dirt (which I never use)...

I keep meaning to go through the whole thing better and set up more, at which point I'll probably try to organize them a little better.

17. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I have 4 pedals with 100+ presets. On those pedals, I will create a sound based on a song/riff I play, then name the preset with the song name. I have a MIDI controller (Disaster Area DMC-6D) that will let me recall all 4 pedals with one stomp (so it works like a multi) so with one stomp I have preset 9a from my TimeLine, preset 18b from Mobius, etc.

For pedals without presets that have a lot of knobs and wide-range parameters (tiny nudge changes the sound) like Elements, FrantaBit, etc. - I have blank templates I made where I can put a dot for each knob/switch, I put the name of the song on the image and save the graphic as a jpeg. I keep these on a folder in my iPhone and I can reference them (if I need them).

I have a pretty elaborate system for for keeping track of my settings on recordings, but I won't get into that.

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    The thing is this, on any gig you're going to have to adjust your sounds to match the room, the individuals you're playing with, etc... It's not bad to have presets that give you a starting point to work off of, but I have yet to ever play a gig where my bedroom or rehearsal room presets worked perfectly during a live show. You always have to change something. Because of that, I really don't use effects live. I just don't want to deal with the hassle.

19. I have several banks of sounds that are in a specific order for performance so that in a few stomps I can cover a lot of tones.
    My B2 or B2.1u are used primarily for general tones, add modulation, pitch shift and delay with a couple of patches for specific songs, basses or gigs.

OTOH I have a B2 full of synth sounds and am slowly filling another

20. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I have a Boss ME-50B multi, which I don't really use much anymore. But I have a spreadsheet for all of the patches I've created, so I voted the first option.