How Often Are You Using An Octave Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist4Eris, Sep 5, 2019.

1. I don't use effects

10.8%
  2. I use effects, but don't own an octave pedal

15.9%
  3. I own at least one octave pedal, but never use it

16.9%
  4. I use an octave pedal on a handful of songs

46.4%
  5. I use an octave pedal on quite a few songs, but still less than half

5.4%
  6. I use an octave pedal a on at least half of the songs I play

1.7%
  7. I use an octave pedal on most of the songs I play

1.0%
  8. My octave pedal is “always on”

1.7%
  1. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

This is one of those “just curious” polls. I was recently watching a YouTube bassist (I think it was Adam Neely, but I won't swear to it) do a Q+A video. One question was “what is the one effect pedal every bassist should own?” I was very surprised to hear his answer was “octave.” I was expecting “compressor” or something.

Don't get me wrong: I love me some octave. I just didn't realize how crucial some people considered it, although I do hear it a lot in the genre I listen to the most (modern fusion jazz). So I'm curious just how common it is.

I mainly play original funk fusion. I've owned the same Boss OC-2 since about 1990, but recently swapped it out on the gig board for an EHX Nano POG so I can leave my 8-string bass at home. Much is made sometimes of having an analog octave, but I think the POG has an interesting flavor of its own. I also like that I can hold out long notes without glitching.

I answered the poll “I use an octave pedal on a handful of songs”.

PaulS likes this.
  2. Bfieldy

Bfieldy

Sep 29, 2018
    Once every 30 songs or so. I still have one on hand at all times if needed, though.

jerry likes this.
  3. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Not very often. Sold my POG2 years ago when I got a B9. My Markbass SuperSynth has an 3 octave sounds, and I sometimes have it overdiven into a SA BEF Pro for a synthy flavor a bit different than the synth sounds in the SuperSynth. Now with the C4 and its array of octave options, I technically will be employing an octave pedal more when I use C4 sounds.

Now that I think on it, I've only ever had one song I always used an octave effect on.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Me too. But it's so darn effective that when I started playing with this new band I'm playing with, I started out effectless, then started bringing an overdrive to give my flats basses a little bit of body, and then I just added back two octave pedals. Used to use a Micro Pog but I traded it out for a Pitch Fork. I use it for the same thing you do...simulating an 8-string bass, which it does great. So does the Micro and Nano Pog, and I do now have a Mooer Tender Octaver V1 which is a Micro Pog clone, but it uses a buttload of power compared to the Fork and I've been running a board powered by an MXR Iso Brick and an AC inverting battery pack, and it runs out juice at a much faster clip with the TO. But I can't deal with the lower octave on either one, so I use an MXR Vintage Bass Octave. Used to use an OC-2, which I still think is an awesome pedal, but the VBO sounds just like it, is much smaller, has better tracking, more available gain on both the octaves and especially the dry sound (sometimes I use it as a clean boost, too), and I'm addicted to the mid switch, although I just add a slight boost at 800 hz. But it makes a difference.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  5. Octave down or octave up?
    I find octave down useless when I play in drop B or drop C... octave up I have my bass whammy and use for fun but have never incorporated into my band so far :)

ctmullins likes this.
  6. I mainly use the octave up effect.

7. ShortyGetLow

ShortyGetLow Inactive

Aug 6, 2019
    I have one on the pedalboard I don’t use.

Engle and tommyeadg like this.
  8. My current band has 12 original songs. We have a couple of gigs under our belt and are about to hit our stride in the next month or so with this set we've put together. I can think of 2 places in those 12 songs I could use an octave pedal if I wanted to. I can think of another 1 or 2 where I could use a delay. That's about the extent of my effects usage in this band right now.

My current octaver is the OC2 model on the ZOOM MS70CDR. I'm primarily using that pedal as a noise gate because of the terrible wiring in my drummer's place. The octave is a bonus.

9. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    It can be really really nice in smaller ensembles. I'm using my Pitch Fork both octave down AND octave up on different songs with this R&B trio, along with a pile of other pedals, and had the octave-up setting almost always on and slightly blended in with the psychedelic trio I was playing with before. Sometimes obvious, sometimes subtle enough that it just "carries" a chorus effect or something like defined harmonics.

oZZma and Bassist4Eris like this.
  10. It's one of my essentials and my MXR BOD has been a staple in my pedalboard ever since I bought it some 5 or 6 years ago. I play r'n'r in formerly a trio (we've recently added a touring guitarist), and in our set of 12 songs, I use the MXR in 4 of them. It adds weight to our sound in slower, heavier parts of the songs, or sometimes I will just hit it for that last note of the song to give it more dramatic effect. I also love stacking it with other pedals - octave into fuzz or distortion, with just a right amount of chorus on top of it makes for a huge sound. I will also mention that I don't set up the MXR for that subby synth tone, it's much more of the growly, midrangey sound that I'm after.

11. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't like any of the digital octave up pedals, they all sound artificial, like Mickey Mouse on helium. However, I've always liked the sound of an analog octave down on fretless a la Pino Palladino when he played with Paul Young.

I've always kept an octave pedal around but recently sold it because I never use it out. The main reason is that I don't want to have to change the way I play: I don't want to play everything an octave higher.

If there was a pedal that did a good analog octave up that wasn't a fuzz octave or a way to make your original note sound 'sine wavey' like that of an analog octaver -but without changing the octave -that would be cool.

Actually, I think maybe there is a pedal made by the same company as that which makes these HPF and LPF that I'm told hourly every bass player should have in 2019......but I fear again I wouldn't end up using that either!

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I use my octave down pedal (EBS) in one of my three bands. I use it when the guitar player takes a solo to cover for missing rhythm guitar. I use it in 2-3 songs per gig.

13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I have a pedal but tend to use octave presets in multis or pitch shifting, but it's functionally much the same, although there is something to be said for the particular sound of an OC-2. I sometimes use synth effects that include an octave down component which I counted as using an octave pedal even if I'm not explicitly using one.

What I would really like is a magic G string sound improver which might be an octave pedal that adds just a bit of low octave to that one string. Actually, cobalt flats help

catcauphonic likes this.
  14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Add octave down, then filter it all back out with the HPF :)

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i have one: took it off my small board because i only used it for about 90 seconds on one tune...with mixed results.

if this thread goes to forty or fifty pages = i may take a second look and reconsider. :laugh:

mikeswals, RyanOh and Zbysek like this.
  16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I already have the pitchfork, 2x oc2 a micro Pog and now I want the mxr.

Damn you!!:help:

The pitchfork and pog are on my dual rig board and the oc2 is used for my hip hop beats.

Oh....and I have a mooer tender mk2.....sux on bass but cool for the samples rig.

17. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    +1

18. I use it quite a bit (octave down only, MXR BOD). Mostly for solos, sometimes for entire songs that call for a synthy sound. It's absolutely my favourite effect to use.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  19. Matty Koff

Matty Koff Inactive

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I have a Boss OC-3 that I use purely for the wet octave down signal. It limits me to playing above the 10th fret for tracking but it's like a whole new kind of party. Kicking the thing on can cause earthquakes.

I have an MXR BOD for octave down + dry signal..

After reading JimmyM's post though I'm listening to demos of the MXR VBO and sounds like it's the best of both worlds..and I hold him responsible for the $160 I'll apparently be spending shortly.

Compressor is pretty much always on but other than that, any given pedal on my board might see use in one or two songs.. like ever.