Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How often do you break strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jani_bjorklund, Nov 1, 2002.

1. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I just read a post by a guy who breakes his strings all the time. I can't understand it! Unbelivable! It has to do with how you "handle" (play) the bass. I have been playing bass since the 70' and I have had crap basses and exelent basses, long and short scales, acoustics and electrics. I have built 6 of them myself, used good(and expensive) bridges and standard "fender" bridges. I have probaby used as many different brands and types of strings as the number of years I've been playing.The point is that I have only broke a couple of strings during these 30 years while playing . A couple of times I have discovered a broken string on one of my basses when I have opend the guitar case. I know they might even break by them self when the steel core gets tired. It has also happened more than once that I have loaned a bass to someone and he brakes a string.
    I'm convinced that breaking strings has more to do with the playing style than anything else. I know a bass has to be played hard in order to sound good, you have to push it of course, but if you're breaking strings continually, I think you're really abusing the instrument.

2. I have only ever broken one string and that was a dodgy one out of the packet. I was tuning it up to pitch and it got almost there and snap.

Sure this is a semi setup based question because things like Burrs on saddles can cause strings to break etc, but i will move this to err Strings!

:D:D

Merls

3. that post was probably me.

I have been playing for a year and a half... 15-17 strings - mostly E's

Should I be proud? :rolleyes: :eek:

4. Only broke strings on Steinberger XL-2 basses....

5. Broke one every now and then on my old Peavey, never broken one on my Rickenbacker - and believe me, I play the living **** out of this thing sometimes!

--jeff

6. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    Never one in 30 years....and I DO play hard.

7. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    LOL... on my P-clone (turser:rolleyes: ) I broke the E string every 3 weeks. But now, with my new Soundgear, I've never broke a string in 3 months!

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I broke 1 in maybe 31 years and that was while tuning up.

9. Haven't broken any strings yet

10. tinfoil

tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    Canada
    I have broken 2 E strings, a low B and a D. I still have the scar from the B string.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Over the couse of 30 years or so, I may have broken 4 or 5.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I broke several on my stingray5... I found out that there was a rough spot on the G-string saddle.. I had it filed down... then I switched string brands..

I have yet to break a string on my Elrick

13. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I've never broken a bass string... or a guitar string for that matter. I beat the hell out of em but they just don't wanna break, I don't know why:D I wish my buddy's guitar strings would break more often, he won't change em til they do, and by that time they are pure black rust and hurt to play

Dave

14. tinfoil

tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    Canada
    Oh hell, I break guitar strings all the time. Just too fragile and stuff.

Perhaps I am not meant to play guitar... at all :>

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Been playing for 20 years off and on and have never broken a string

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i haven't broken a string in over 10 years.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have never broken a bass string.

I have broken lots of guitar strings. Usually a result of a locking tremolo, or changing tunings.

But not yet as a result of playing.

19. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    never.....

i cant believe 15-17 strings in 1.5 years

thats nuts... wat the heck are you doing to break that many? do you purposly break them? you have to have learned by now... that they break at a certain point.. and if you still continually go past that point and break them.... to me! it means your purposly doing it...

but...... ok ! ;)

hey! your birthday is 1 day before mine! microbass but i was born 5 years earlier (on easter day!!)