1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How often do you change coated strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steve2, Jul 29, 2007.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Just curious how often you change your coated strings. I am still playing the stock Elixir's and have just installed a set of DR coated strings on my 6 string bass. I usually changed flats once a year but I fill they would be fine longer. Rounds I usually change every 6 months. Thanks I will also do some searches.

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Elixirs, maybe 8 months. That's pretty much how long it takes them to stop sounding new. With regular strings it's about 1 or 2 weeks till they stop sounding new. That's why I like my Elixirs.

3. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    how does the intonation lasts ?

and anyone can say how much DR's sets lasts ?

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I've never had to adjust my intonation for a long while so I guess that says something.

The last set of strings I put on my Schecter were DR Hi-Beams. Their newness lasted around 2 weeks, but while new sounded better than the Elixirs I had on it previously. The difference was that the DR's sounded much more bassy while still having that high end bite. They were excellent for slap. Elixirs have that high end bite, but not the boomy lows the DR's had.

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'm juuust about to, after just under a year. I have DR Black Beauties on my Geddy.
    I have just begun to notice that they are sounding on the dull side.

6. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I have DR Black Beauties on my Geddy.

How do you like them? I was thinkingabout putting the on my ATK 300

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I love 'em. I put a set on my Jag and on my Squier PJ too.

8. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I put a set of DR Red Devils on my bass about 3 weeks ago. After two weeks I thought the E string and the G string sounded like they were losing their prescence. All in all I'm disappointed, those strings cost $30.00 and did'nt last any longer than my non coated strings.

9. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I paid $45 plus shipping for the Evergreens on my 6 string. I hope to get at least 6 months on them