How often do you change yoor strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wantsafoderabas, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Wantsafoderabas

Feb 11, 2004
    I would like to know how often people change their string and what the reason is :)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Depends on how much u play, after so long they lose their tone! Aprox every 6 month's!

Take Care
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I change my strings about every year or two. The zing is long gone by then. It's usually a desire to improve my slap tone or just wanting to spend money on myself on something somewhat frivolous that gets me to change them.
  5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Rounds.....every month

6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whenever I can afford them. Ideally, for me it would be monthly. I sweat a lot performing, but only my main two basses would be changed so often. The rest, just whenever they sound dead.

7. Same here... Roundwounds go dull so quickly. :mad:
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    NEVER: TI jazz flats. The older they get, the better they sound
  9. _BubA_

Feb 2, 2004
    down south
    i have never changed my strings :bassist:
  10. Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    when they brake, thats about it :p
  11. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have to keep myself from coming up with excuses to change my strings.

I just love screwing around with things, and if I had the chance (and the money) I'd change my strings once a week just to have something new to mess around with. In light of that, I work on talking myself out of buying new strings by thinking about new amps and cabinets. That kinda does the trick. :D

I am gonna put some flats on my MIM Jazz here in a little while, though. See if I can find a reason to keep the silly bastard around a little bit longer. Never play it anymore.
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  13. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    When they break/when I have $50 to blow on a new set of Lo-Riders...
  14. ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    When they're not shiny anymore :D :p
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    It used to be when I got the hankering for a new kind of string, but I've found my brand (Thomastik-Infeld). The only strings I've ever used are Ernie Bass Slinkies, Ernie Flats, Rotosound Swingbass L66s, D'addario XLs, and TI Jazz Rounds. One set of each. They were all on around five months or so, so everything got pretty dead by the time I changed 'em (c'ept for the TI's, and I've only had them on sinec Christmas or so). And now...when they break :D. TIs have such a wonderful longevity, so I'm gonna have them on till they die.

Oh, and I've got a set of TI Flats, but I need a new nut and a new A string (something's wrong with it) for the fretless before putting them on.
  16. When they start losing that great metallic tone I love so much from my precious SS I'm lookin at around every 2-3 months or so.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When they break.
  18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I just keep cleaning them by soaking them in alcohol. Unless the break or are in really bad shape, I don't change them.