Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how often do you change you strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Propyro, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Just curious.

(Since i don't own a bass yet i'll have to talk about my guitar)
    As for me ... well it used to be as often as they broke ... but i kind of can't do that any more because since i switched to medium gauge strings on my strat they don't seem to like breaking on me when they need changing.

I dropped my guitar about a week ago and i decided to take it appart and see if anything happnened to it ... well i saw nothing wrong ... but i tried to reuse my strings ... while i was straightening out my high E the end snapped off and i was left with a uselessly short E. So i scrapped that set and put a fresh set of d'Addario XL's on it. Once they finished streatching and held their tone for more then 15 seconds i suddenly relised how dead my strings were before i changed them ... so i'm probalby going to have to addopt a mandatory string change policy ... hows every 8 months sound?

[/|\]

2. String changing isn't like changing the oil in a car. It is done to preference of the player.

Some people have more acidic skin then others and have to change their strings after a long performance.

I myself change my strings (no matter what) right before I head for the studio, but that's just my taste.

Most players change strings when they lose their brilliance, sound too mellow, when intonation falters, or when their instrument is difficult to keep in tune. Changing one string after it breaks is not recommended, as the newer string will definitely be brighter sounding than the rest of the set.

YMMV.

Another thread with the same title.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104758&highlight=when+to+change+strings

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Last night i played a gig and my E string broke at the bottom. I had no spare bass so borrowed one of the other bands. but thanks to me changing my strings every 7 or 8 months, i still had a spare one in tact that sounds similar to the others. huzzah for regular string changing intervals.

but yeah, i liek to change my strings when they begin to sound so dull playing them sends me to sleep. or when i go into the studio.

4. I am aware of that .. Which is why if one string breaks i change all of them unless the set of strings is still relativly fresh.

and i didn't know aobut the other thread ... i could have sworn i looked around for another thread like this before posting.

[/|\]

5. Hey, it's no biggie, I thought I would post it so you had that info to look at as well. :D

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I change my strings once every blue moon.... in otherwords when I break one.
    I clean my strings once a month.

7. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    I change my strings when...I can here a major tone diffrent like it sounds flat! I have a deep on the B- and like a soild tone with the other strings as well!

Take care
    TM

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I change them about once every 3 months.