Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How often do you change your strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gwx014, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Less than 1 month

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. 1-2 months

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. 2-3 months

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. 3-4 months

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  5. 4-5 months

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. 6 or more months

34 vote(s)
    50.7%
  1. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Just like the title says.

2. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I love the way old strings sound, I just do. I actually go out of my way when first put a new set on my bass to beat the crap outta them so I'm not annoyed by that "clacky" sound. I can't seem to grip new strings well either, they're slippery. When I changed from the set that came on my bass to a fresh one (I had busted the G-string) the strings were about 10 months old, and I would have kept them on if the G hadn't broken

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Depends a lot on how often I'm playing. When I'm playing a lot, I gotta change 'em at least every six weeks or so - as soon as they start to lose zing and definition - and long before they start to lose intonation...

I love new strings. To me they're in peak form about two days or so after you first put 'em on - just long enough to settle down a little, but with lots of crispness and brilliance left...

MM

4. I used to change them about every 3 to 5 months. Now it has been over a year since I last changed a set of strings. I have a p-bass that has a set of flats that are 2 years old on them and i love the way they sound. I bought a new set of strings for my MIM jazz like 5 months ago, came home strung them on and started to play, just to realized they sounded way too bright so off they came. The next day they were given away, and I haven't changed them yet.

5. I like an edgy tone out of my Rick, and I usually change my strings after 6 months, and they still sound really bright.....but I always wipe them off, and wash my hands before playing....

Kudos to DR Sunbeams...they rock!

6. Every 6 months or so. I'm usually short of money and might change them more often if I had it.

7. When I was gigging full time, I was changing strings every month.. I use DR LowRiders Nickel.. After not having even played for seven years.. then a buddy of mine called me to play.. It has been pure GAS for the last three weeks now.. Got a new bass.. been on it for two weeks now and already almost to the point of ability that I was at when I quit playing. Which is good.. Just told the music store to get me several packs of DR's.. I am going to need them.. playing out every weekend.. practice twice a week together or more.. and plus practice at home.. really does a job on the strings.

Doc

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I change them about once a year... I use Rotosounds and when they're new they are pretty slippery and feel "harsh" and the sound is to.. nasally i guess you could say.. then after about 3-5 months of playing they get dirty and worn out and have a nice mellow tone.

9. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I voted 3-4 months but actually it may be sooner or later, depending on what the strings tell me, LoL.

George

10. I try to change them every 3-4 months, that's about when they lose their "snap".
    I just changed the strings on my Schecter for the first time in almost a year. I remember getting a set of strings for my birthday last February, and I just took those strings off 4 days ago.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  12. i have one bass with flats from 1991, another with tapewounds from 1996, another with tapewounds from 2002, and another with nickel roundwounds from about 4 months ago.

Judging from how they're going now, I'll probably change the round wounds in about 2 or 3 more months, and I'll change the rest in another 10 or 15 years :)

13. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    when i feel the need

14. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    When they break. My fretless has had the same set of flats for around 20 years. Tapes are from the 90's on one Jazz.

Can I help it that I like the Jamerson sound?