Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How often do you change your strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, May 23, 2002.

1. only when one of them breaks

28 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. once a year

29 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. every few months

99 vote(s)
    52.1%
  4. monthly

23 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. every few weeks

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. weekly

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  7. after every gig

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  8. after every set

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I thought it would be interesting to see how long people are leaving their strings on. Personally, I don't change mine till one of them breaks.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It depends. If the bass sounds good, I'll leave them til they break. But when there is all bass & no trebble, I gotta throw a new set on. Usually every few months.

3. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    stainless seem to last a lot longer for me ,i like the " piano string " tone of them too , i always wipe my strings between songs , clean them with isopropyl at the end of the gig and always wash my hands before a set , no , im not paranoid just a habit ive got that keeps the strings bright for probably 2 months of 2/3 night a week gigs . nickels seem to dull real quick but unfortunately they are not so brutal on your frets and neck as roundwound stainless are .....i also hate it when you buy a sete and theres a dud string straight off !!!!!!!!!

4. For amateur musicians like me, strings are really too expensive to change very regularly. I leave them on until they're really sounding dull...which, of course, is way too long :eek:

I put a set of Rotosound 66s on my fretted bass yesterday. One string was dumb with a strange buzzing sound. I e-mailed Rotosound and they're sending me a replacement set :cool: right away. Yes, I hate it, too, Makatak, but clearly Roto' are a good company so that the blow of a new dumb string is well cushioned, IMHO.

BTW, 'fitted a set of TI Jazz Flats to my new Yammy fretless yesterday, too, to replace the Yamaha rounds.

Haven't heard them amplified yet (tonight with luck) but they feel fantastic and sound superb acoustically.

John

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Don't need to change strings very often - 4-6 months or so, sometimes less, sometimes longer, my Guild bass has been lying in the cupboard for a while unplaid now, it comes out every few months to get a good playing. I think the strings have been on it for a year or so!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I feel the exact opposite - I hate that "over bright" sound and it just feels scatchy and "inorganic" to me - not "bass" as such at all!

I really like Nickels becuase they "settle" quickly to a usable warm sound and then last for months. I find steels a waste of time as they either sound scratchy/noisy or completely dead!

I used to get duds with Rotosounds, but since switching to D'addario Nickels I have never had one bad string and they last much longer - anything up to 6 months!

7. I used to use R. Cocco strings. They lasted almost three months. Now I'm playing elixers and I still haven't had to change them and I had them for about 5 months now.

8. I've had my Squier for 5 years. It's on it second set of strings, and they still sound great.

I've got a set od Blue Steels on my Yammer, and they sound pretty good, if a little bright still.

My Cahuenga needs anew set of strings and a setup. The G is about to snap, and the E,A, and D are the stock strings from my Yamaha. The strings feel awful to my fingers, but amplified sound pretty good, even with a horrible setup.

9. sashi.d

sashi.d

Apr 8, 2002
    Australia
    i love it when my strings are dirty and old cos it sounds deeper. I've been playin for 2 and a half years and i havent changed 'em once

10. Usually twice per year :)

I have a pretty tight schedule :) i change my strings on the first day in the Spring, and on the first day in the autumn :)

11. I change the ol' PolyWeb's every 6 months.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Change strings?
    Never have.

13. Sanger

Sanger Guest

Feb 15, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I've had my bass about a year and a half, and during that time I've only changed the G string cos it broke. Thing was, the only brand the music store had left were "Cheapies", and being the young impressionable moron I was I thought "Oh yeah, go it!". Since then I haven't been bothered to get a new one, although the sound ain't too bad considering.

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I tend to change my strings every two or three months. I also have a tendency to change them about a week or so before what I consider to be a big gig.

I have a church concert coming up 2nd week of June that's an annual event, so I'll probably restring my 5er next week.

Peace,

James

15. I voted 1s a year coz thats probably what I will be doing in future. I have never actually changed my strings but I have only been playing for just over a year, so I suppose there due...

*runs to next music store to buy a new set of strings*

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Up to one year.

I clean them regularly in a jar of alcohol - wootenesque snap and billiance for months. :)

17. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I love the sound of a fresh pack of stainless steel roundwounds. I'd change 'em everyweek if I could afford it. I don't mind paying out once a month, but I try and make them last two months if possible. But once they're dead, then I must change them, I can't be bothered to play my bass if it sounds flat.

18. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    just took off D'Addario EXP coated strings, lasted 5 months - and when they went they really went fast !

but it looks like the over one month/under a year category will as expected take this poll -
    regardless of the strings for the most part or how someone plays.

19. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    After every gig (and rehersal). My sweat eats away at string like no-ones business. I do, however, soak them in denatured alcohol afterwards and reuse them, so I guess that's kind of cheating. :D

20. I try to make sure to change my strings to allow enough time for one or two full band rehearsals before a gig. that way if there is a defect in the string and it is going to break or is dead out of the package, I will find out in rehearsal. I also still get the new string zing at the gig which I like a lot.