Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how often do you check your oil

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fetch Da bass, Dec 12, 2003.

1. I don't usually check my oil in my 98 Isuzu Rodeo because I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles or before. but today my oil light came on. I pulled into a gas station to check it. yep the dip stick was dry. oh no! I go into the gas station to buy 2 quarts oil. I put it in but it's still not showing up on the dip stick so I go back in and get two more quarts of oil.. it takes both and now the level is just below full. woe! I am thinking where did all the oil go. my Izusu Rodeo only has 65000 mile and doesn't leak oil. I had the oil change just a little over 2200 mile ago..I am thinking that maybe the numbnuts that changed my oil drained it but forgot to refill it,,,Is my engine screwed. is it possible to drive a car around for 2200 miles without much oil. :mad: :confused:

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm by no means a car nut but i imagine if there was absolutely no oil in your engine it wouldn't have lasted 2200 miles. More like under 50 since i think they'd all just lock up and you'd have a really big paper weight. :) I check my oil pretty much anytime i either have to give a jump start, or if it's been around 2 months. If i just changed it-then i check about once a week for 2 weeks just to be sure. I change my oil every 3000 miles also, but my car is an 84 Impala so i can change it on my own with virtually no hassle. The thing takes a good 4-5 quarts of oil :oops: I found out why they make penzoil in the gallon size jugs. :-D

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I check my oil when the red light comes on.

j/k

-Mike

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Well, first of all you NEVER add that much oil to an engine when it is hot. When the engine is still hot, even if you have turned it off, there will still be a large amount of oil up in the engine. The engine has to be at least somewhat cool before you can accurately check it.

Second, there's no way that you could have gotten out of the oil-change place without them putting oil in it.

If I were to guess, a rodeo probably doesn't take but MAYBE 4 1/2 quarts, so if you put 4 quarts in there, it is SERIOUSLY overfilled, which can cause even more problems. Wait for the engine to cool and then go check it and see what the level is.

5. well the car sat for about 5 minutes before I checked it again before filling it. then I went back into the gas station to get more oil and that took atleast 3 minutes more. I checked it about a 100 more times just to make sure. I then checked it again about 100 times after filling it. I freaking know how to check the oil. I have three vintage VW's and I do most of the maintenance on them. They only hold 2.7 Quarts of oil and no oil filter so I am very carefull about checking and changing the oil with those.

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You could be burning oil, too. 65k might not seem like high mileage, but if you or previous owner(s) have driven it hard, it's more than enough time to do ring seal damage, etc.

7. hey Ty, just to make sure I drained the oil. then measured it. I got exactly 1 gallon and a cup. I put in 4 quarts in at the gas station. so that means I only had about a cup of oil in my engine..so I will refill it then drive it around a bunch and see if it is burnig oil if not than the dudes a the oil change place need a talking too.
    this make me so mad cause I have only had the car for 4 months.:bawl:

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Dude--

Your car will not MOVE with only a cup of oil. The purpose of oil is to lubricate the engine so that heat does not build up. One cup is NOT enough to properly lubricate that engine. It would literally melt.

If you give the "dudes at the oil change place" a talking to about them not refilling your oil, they'll laugh in your face. They may not have put ENOUGH oil, but that is HIGHLY doubtful, especially after 2200 miles.

9. Technically it holds 6 quarts. thats how much is put in at the factory. a refill with a oil filter change will be about 4.7 quarts. without a oil filter change it is only 4 quarts of oil to refill .. so there is actually 1.3 quarts of oil that can't be changed out. so I probably had a little over 2 quarts in it when the light came on. I will keep a eye on it. oh and I did go back to the same E-Z Lube. they said that I was never there..but I have sticker on my windsheld that says E-Z lube with the date and change mileage. They had my name in the computer but no record a of change..sounds kind of fishy.. I will be talking to them more

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Uh, you had the filter changed, right? You also should fill the filter with oil before it's changed to prevent air pockets circulating in the engine.

I'm sure the guys at EZ lube are BSing you, grease monkeys are horrible with customer service. If you can, change your oil yourself. You don't have to be mechanically inclined, just willing to get your hands dirty.

11. I use to change my oil on my non vintage cars. but the price for a lube job is only 19.99. I know how to change the oil/filter thank you.
    I wouldn't let anyone do a oil change on my VW's no way! I do all the service on them. in fact today I just finished installing a new motor in my 74 VW Thing.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Wow.....where does the 1.3 quarts of oil that you can't chage out 'live'????? Sorry I just can understand this - I'm not poking fun or anything, I've done plenty of oil changes myself.....I just don't get where this oil goes!!!!:confused:

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well my motor in my 73 plymouth now burns oil..doesn't leak..but it can burn of a couple of quarts pretty quick i check the other day..one week from last time....i put 3 quarts in that means that there was two..for how long i don't know but it happens often...i do have another motor that im putting in this weekend...

and hopefully my mpg might be more than 10 as currently..

steve

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm a sucker, I do the "factory suggested maintenence intervals" (per owner's manual)at the Dealership. Then if a screw-up happens, it's on them.

15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    you make think that you maybe a sucker for doing that. but believe me that you are not. i work at a chrysler dealership. we had two cars. both need new motors. but they denied it since they didn't do the scheduled maitnance...and since you are doing at the dealership they have record of everything..unlike if you get it done at jiffy lube or something...the you have to find recipts and if you don't have them then tough s***.....

my moms dakota has 380,000 miles on it. its jsut all in maitnance and we have not had to do anything to it..except fuel filter, oil changes...no timing chain or anything.

then there is a guy that brings his 98 carvan in it has 370,000 on it. but he is there for his oil changes, injector flushes.. and has had no problems at all...

oops got alittle off topic...

steve

16. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Ty at last we agree on something;)

Agreed... overfilled.

I have 2 sports cars and I often check my oil, maybe once a week as I do get the most out of the Hspwr every time I drive. When I get my oil changed I WATCH THEM. Otherwise I like to make buddies with the people that cook my food and change my oil... I sleep better at night.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yeah, I know. Some will chuckle at me for paying the premium of dealership maintenance, but it's worth it to me because I have neither the time or patience for such endeavours myself.
    Plus, if I have the dealer work the car, even out of warranty they'll(sometimes/mostly) cover some repairs because I did it by their book.

18. it truns out that my 98 Rodeo is drinking oil like a fat chick sucking on a turkey neck at cin-a-bun in a Bakersfield mall. or something like that..Yeah I read that it is not all that uncommon for 98-2000 Isuzu trucks 3.2L and 3.5L engines with over 55,000 miles to suck up the oil. WOW. holy shifters. I had to really dig for the info. anyone want to buy a 98 Isuzu Rodeo..it gives great gas mileage.:bawl:
    My 68 VW bus has like a brazillon miles on it and is the most dependable vehicle I own....

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm with Ty on this one.

20. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I never check my oil in my current ride. Haven't even pulled a dip stick in over 3 years. Where I get my oil changed, they tell you about the condition of your oil and wether it was full on arrival or not (I'm sure almost every place does this) ...so my car is always full of oil when I take it in for an oil change and it has been every time. Unless that changes, I see no reason to check my oil.
    I spent so many years checking oil frequently and having a bunch of half full bottles of 10W 40 kicking around under the seat - my goal is to never check my oil ever again.