1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how often do you clip your nails?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by g00eY, Apr 25, 2006.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i've recently discovered that i need to clip my index and middle fingernails on my right hand every 3-4 days to prevent this annoying clicking/tapping/unwanted noise from my protruding nails while i play. i cuz the other ones whenever they get long, but the index and middle finger need to stay as stubs.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Maybe once every 5 days.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I eat my or bite then off, use them as tooth pick and then eat them. Is that cannibalism?

4. Every 3-5 days for sure, I hate the look and feel of untrimmed nails and that annoying clicky sound while playing bass just made it worse.

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I hope not. I do it, too, and I hear that cannibalism's a federal offense.

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    You use your nails as tooth picks? its not cannibalism, but you should patent that.

7. I thought I was the only one who had to clip often. The only offending fingernail is my right index finger which I have to clip every week or so. The other fingers are fine.

8. real men bite their nails

9. I clip then when they get long. I have no idea how long it takes.

10. Since when is cannibalism a federal offense?

11. I play with my nails, or at least for some things (they're short enough to be removed from my attack by slightly changing my wrist angle). They're great for articulation in dense chordal work. I come from a classical guitar background, though, so it doesn't feel or sound weird to me.

12. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Every 5 days or so. I hate the way my fingernails feel when I'm trying to type, and I type a lot for work.

Bass ?... If I'm playing for a serious period during a week, I am known to trim them more often.

13. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I'm awful for biting/clipping my nails when I'm bored. Means I often strip them too short, and that is sore :bawl:

14. i do that too, im basically immune to the pain now.

15. I either clip or file them 1x a week.

16. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I used to do that years ago but eventually decided that playing bass with sore fingertips sucked. Now it's the clippers for me. I just try to keep them short enough to not interfere with my playing, and I trim them all at the same time. I like symmetry.

-Nate

17. Nervous girls bite their nails.

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    i clip them about once a week or so

19. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Once a week.